Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry i should have explained more

i know you pull them "back" twords you 9 oclcok i guess but how long do you have to hold it there?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
crash893 said:

i know you pull them "back" twords you 9 oclcok i guess but how long do you have to hold it there?
It would help if you gave your model year, as the control changed over time.

On a 2003, all you need to do is to rotate the mirror position controller until the little red line is at the 9 o'clock position (in other words, between the position to adjust the left and right mirrors). There's no need to do anything else, liking pulling or pushing. The mirror heaters should be on (I find it kinda neat to see steam rising from the mirrors on a frosty cold morning).

BTW, if the mirrors aren't physically warm to the touch after a few minutes, the heating elements may be burned out. Some members have reported this occurring when the switch was left in the "on" position for extended periods of time (weeks, months, etc).

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
In between the left and right position on the mirror switch, and the defrost on on your console................Rah.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do remember to return the setting to either the left or right mirror. Leaving the element heaters on will burn them out. They do not switch off automatically after a set period of time, like most rear defrosters. Lots of us have made that mistake!

JC

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
RAH said:
In between the left and right position on the mirror switch, and the defrost on on your console................Rah.
Not on a 2003 - there is no interaction between the mirror heater control and the rear window defroster. You can defrost the mirrors without clearing the rear window (dunno why you would want to, but you could).

Frankly, I think this is a bad design, for a variety of reasons. One, no one reads the friendly manual in the US (if people did RTFM, traffic here would drop dramatically). Two, humans like symmetry and tend to leave controls between two alternatives. Three, people tend to leave the switch in the middle position so as not to disturb their mirror settings. Four, There is no highly noticeable indicator light (like on the rear defroster) that the heaters are actually on. Five, there is no timer on the current version of the control to automatically shut it off.

Ideally, your suggestion would be great. And maybe that's how the controls were at one time, but not now (unless they've changed them with the '04 model).

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeh i agree. bad design
in my rover, when you hit the rear defroster it clears the mirrors

in 13 min. they both go off.

no chance of burning the element out, and no fumbling with the controls.

just My opinion, but having to remember it when im warming up the car is..umm...annoying

Joshman

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
crash893 said:

No pulling, pushing, tugging set just turn them to the 9 oclock position, they should come on in 10 secs or so. If they don't, it's time for replacement mirrors. After you're done, turn them to R or L.

Altair is correct - it is not tied tot he rear defroster for some reason - I believe none that are the jotstick models are, maybe the toggle pads on the older models are but I just don't know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
According to my (UK 2001) handbook you set the control knob to the center between left and right (there is a heater symbol) the mirrors then are heated when the rear screen heater is on. Once the rear window heater is turned off the mirors can cool down so you should not burn them out unless the rear screen heater is on all the time.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
BrianLenaghan said:
According to my (UK 2001) handbook you set the control knob to the center between left and right (there is a heater symbol) the mirrors then are heated when the rear screen heater is on. Once the rear window heater is turned off the mirors can cool down so you should not burn them out unless the rear screen heater is on all the time.
Here the rear screen is independent of the mirror heaters so that's why so many people have burnt out elements because they leave the mirror heaters on.

·
Registered
297 Posts
BrianLenaghan said:
Same here Brian. All the Australian models only come on in defrost mode. The manual stated to leave the control in the centre. The defrost cycles automatically turn off after about 15 or 20 minutes I believe

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
iconnx said:
BrianLenaghan said:
Same here Brian. All the Australian models only come on in defrost mode. The manual stated to leave the control in the centre. The defrost cycles automatically turn off after about 15 or 20 minutes I believe
I wonder if there's some type of relay that we could add to the US versions to tie the mirror heater to the rear defroster? Hmmm....

I don't have my Bentley yet. Anyone wanna hazard a guess on this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
hmmm, well this answers a question I've been meaning to ask :poke:
My vag-com scan always picked up errors on the heated mirrors. eversince I had the car, the dial was set to middle position, so I guess the elements are all burnt hence the error code when I scan. :cry:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
b5er2
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing