Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies and the link.

i have no idea how old these plugs are, so could this be also old age? and how long should i wait to check the new plugs' condition for this diagnosis?

·
Registered
829 Posts
You can use a wire brush and clean them off since they have the white deposits on each electrode. This is either from normal wear or getting deposits from external contaminants like coolant or oil. If you clean them off or replace the set and the deposits do not come back right away then it was most likely an old plug set and simply due for change or cleaning.

·
Registered
205 Posts
HvyDrnkr23 said:
vuvision said:
Here are my plugs :shock:
That's some funny shit! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WTF...? You got taken - those plugs look used!!! :lol:

·
Registered
829 Posts
The Swami said:
Whoa, I kinda disagree. Those plugs look like normal usage to me.. How many miles are on the car?
What would explain the white deposit coating on the electrodes? I figure they are old plugs and that is regular erosion but cleaning them or replacing them to make sure that white coating doesn't come back right away is a good step to make sure nothing else except for time contributing to the plug condition. My current plugs look like metal and have no white sulferic lookin deposits on them. The car runs pretty close to stoich and I do not have misfires so I have nice clean plugs.

·
Registered
829 Posts
IDriveB5 said:
and if it is coolant or oil, how long will it take for the white deposits to form?
When my car was running rich, I put new plugs in totally clean, then ran the car around the block and they were fouled black and wet. So it doesn't take very long to understand how your car is running just after cleaning or replacing your plugs. Again, the white coating on your plugs looks like regular wear"n"tear in my opinion but I think you may be able to clean them and hold off on buying new plugs for a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.