Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a complete moron when it comes to cars, and it seems that this question is so simple that it can't be found in the Information forum.

Anyway, I have a 2002 Passat Sedan 1.8T 5 speed and I would like to replace the air filter with a K&N. The problem is, I have no idea where it is. I mean, I sort of looked, but I figured it would be much easier to ask than to try to break my car.

So, please, help out an idiot? I promise if someone answers this, I will buy a Bentley manual or something for myself!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
You may want to read a few posts about the porblems with K&N filters (oil messing up MAF, less effective filtering) before making the change :Yikes:. I've just changed back to stock paper after 4 years on K&N and my 3rd MAF!! :( :( :(

·
Registered
116 Posts
the_dread said:
You may want to read a few posts about the porblems with K&N filters (oil messing up MAF, less effective filtering) before making the change :Yikes:. I've just changed back to stock paper after 4 years on K&N and my 3rd MAF!! :( :( :(

I just want to know how you are positive it was your K&N... i mean with so many people running these in every sort of car with no problems.

·
Registered
108 Posts
from what ive seen alot of people run with K&N, and not everyone has the MAF problems, the K&N may exacerbate a pre-existing condition or may combine with other variables to screw things up. I do know that while the K&N design certainly allows more air into the engine, it is an OLD design that hasn't changed much in a decade or 2. There are other drop in panel filters from other manufacturers that are more recent and may have an improved design. Admittedly, most people that do a panel filter upgrade seem go with K&N - although this is probably due to the fact they are so easy to find everywhere.

I just purchased a eurosport ITG filter under advice that it has some improvements over the K&N design. Regardless, the ITG doesnt ever need to be oiled again after its initial manufacturing - and the manual with it says to remove any excess oil by patting it down with a paper towel, after that, regular maintenance only involves checking the filter box for debris and removing accordingly. But i think you're right, if this was a definite problem among everyone who uses these filters, you'd hear alot more about it. There are a few more panel filter options out there, do some research before buying.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
The Dread has a good point though. Even a new K&N filter can have a touch too much oil in it and that could cause a problem with the MAF. I would suggest before installing any oiled filter of the sort that you maybe put it in a bag and swing it around to pull out any extra oil before installing it. Personally, I will not recharge my K&N filter when it needs changing, I will spend the $40 to buy a new one. They last a good time without real cleaning so I figure I get two years out of one filter ($20 a year), that's not bad at all. And I don't have to worry about over oiling it. I've recharged these filters before on my Jeep and I really hate the mess and all that goes with trying to get it just right. Just my 2Cents.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There have been a number of posts on air fliters over just the last month with pictures and directions to replace. It should be easy to do a seach on the topic.

·
Lock and Load
4,040 Posts
dqpassat said:
how often should we be replacing the air filters? I have a 04 b5.5 wagon with 18k miles on it...is it time??
Looks like yours still under warranty, usually dealer will do it for you. I change mine every 6 months but just ordered K&N drop in (on the way).

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
The air filter is not a warranty covered item. Usually the dealership will change it per the recommended maintenance schedule in your manual (usually when you're in for your scheduled oil change or 20/30/40/60K maintenance. Take a look in there to see what they suggest. A K&N filter will go longer without needing to be changed or cleaned and recharged. One good thing for sure is to regularly clean out the slush screen on your air box. You'll be amazed at the things you can find in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts