Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Tail end of hurrican Gordon hit Ireland, hitherto unknown about drain in my battery pan are blocked - car full of water :-(

Hoping CCM not toasted (particularly as I just spent LOADS getting new timing belt, disks, etc last week).

Anyhow - I'm trying to get at the drains to clear them - and I've never removed the cowl at the bottom of the windscreen before (the perforated one which guides all the rain from your windscreen INTO your engine (and subsequently into your car if the drains are blocked!))

Can you advise how it is removed? I have the wipers, the clips and the pollen filter securing screw removed - but I'm b*ggered if I can see how this plastic monstrosity comes out.

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hi guys

Tail end of hurrican Gordon hit Ireland, hitherto unknown about drain in my battery pan are blocked - car full of water :-(

Hoping CCM not toasted (particularly as I just spent LOADS getting new timing belt, disks, etc last week).

Anyhow - I'm trying to get at the drains to clear them - and I've never removed the cowl at the bottom of the windscreen before (the perforated one which guides all the rain from your windscreen INTO your engine (and subsequently into your car if the drains are blocked!))

Can you advise how it is removed? I have the wipers, the clips and the pollen filter securing screw removed - but I'm b*ggered if I can see how this plastic monstrosity comes out.

Thanks

Doug
if its anything like the us models ,theres no need to remove that,whats needed is inside in the bulkhead area, in between the firewall, and the bulkhead,thats where the drains are that need to have them cleaned out

·
Registered
221 Posts
ifsi its anything like the us models ,theres no need to remove that,whats needed is inside in the bulkhead area, in between the firewall, and the bulkhead,thaty where the drains are that need to have them cleaned out
I agree with Turbo 8283, however if you still want to remove the cowl it has a flange that is seated into a recess in the bottom of the windshield glass area. You said that the wipers are off, I am assuming that includes the arms as well? The arms fasten down onto the splined rods that comes up through the cowl. The clip you spke of is sort of dead center on the car, by the battery (in the US) and holds the cowl to the plastic protector around the heater core hoses. You should pop off the trim on the right and left of the windshield (by the sideview mirrors) and then the cowl just comes off. You might need to pry it up a little to get the flange out of the recess. Be careful though, since when the jerks that replaced my windshield (cracked) did it they broke off a piece of the flange near the windshield wiper motor, which lead to a leak in that area and the motor rusting out due to water penetration.

Dan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it out

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. My Haynes manual was vague on how to get the cowl out - and it was hard to see which direction to apply pressure to pop it out.

For the benefit of future readers - I discovered that, as you say Dan, it's literally pushed straight into the screen - so it just pulls straight out of the screen at 90 degrees to the glass. (To get it started - I put my hand on the door pillar as a rest to protect the glass, and used a flat blade screwdriver to pry the top of the cowl away from the screen - and then it all just peeled out along its entire length).

The reason I had to go to this length, turbo8283, is cos it's a diesel and the battery is ENORMOUS. I couldn't get fingers, or tools or anything near the drain holes behind the servo and under the battery - so I had to get the battery out - and there's no way to get that out without removing the cowl (tried shifting the ECU wiring first and it didn't help.). In fact - the wipers proved the most difficult thing to get off in the end as they've clearly been in place for 7 years (and also the battery clamp bolt, due to bulkhead height above the battery clamp being the same as the length of my socket extender.)

But if you've some other suggestions for cleaning the drains without removing all these bits - please let me know, as I obviously want to keep them clear from now on.

Aside: I got a desertspoonful of thick sticky crud out of each drain hole; whoever designed those rubber skirts in the drains (which taper from inlet to outlet) needs a kick in the pants. Could you intentionally design anything more likely to block up?

Next stop tomorrow is to pull the CCM out of the passenger footwell once I can figure out how the sill trim detaches. I'm hopeful I disconnected the battery before it fried :-/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. My Haynes manual was vague on how to get the cowl out - and it was hard to see which direction to apply pressure to pop it out.

For the benefit of future readers - I discovered that, as you say Dan, it's literally pushed straight into the screen - so it just pulls straight out of the screen at 90 degrees to the glass. (To get it started - I put my hand on the door pillar as a rest to protect the glass, and used a flat blade screwdriver to pry the top of the cowl away from the screen - and then it all just peeled out along its entire length).

The reason I had to go to this length, turbo8283, is cos it's a diesel and the battery is ENORMOUS. I couldn't get fingers, or tools or anything near the drain holes behind the servo and under the battery - so I had to get the battery out - and there's no way to get that out without removing the cowl (tried shifting the ECU wiring first and it didn't help.). In fact - the wipers proved the most difficult thing to get off in the end as they've clearly been in place for 7 years (and also the battery clamp bolt, due to bulkhead height above the battery clamp being the same as the length of my socket extender.)

But if you've some other suggestions for cleaning the drains without removing all these bits - please let me know, as I obviously want to keep them clear from now on.

Aside: I got a desertspoonful of thick sticky crud out of each drain hole; whoever designed those rubber skirts in the drains (which taper from inlet to outlet) needs a kick in the pants. Could you intentionally design anything more likely to block up?

Next stop tomorrow is to pull the CCM out of the passenger footwell once I can figure out how the sill trim detaches. I'm hopeful I disconnected the battery before it fried :-/
Thanks for the cowl removal tip by the end. Could not pull it off. away from end where I could get both hand on it. The screw driver across the window column with a glove between worked nice and easy. Not so easy on older car otherwise.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
Perfect example of what searching can do for you. Glad an older thread was able to help you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts