Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in touch with APR and they recommend I look for a vacuum leak. Where do I look (most common place) and what would my car do (if there is a leak?)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have a power loss except in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range. I can hear air being sucked at the rear of the intake but isn't loud enough for me to say that it is or it isn't a vacuum leak. I have done a search and the things I came up with are not relavent to my question. What symptoms are common with a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
633 Posts
You can replace all the vacuum hoses in an hour and for $15 you can get silicone lines that will last longer than the car. VW vacuum hoses are crap and if they are not gone now, will be shortly. You are better off just replacing them than spending much time diagnosing. A vacuum leak will can cause rough idle, poor performance, error codes, excess pollution, problems with cruise control, problems with power brakes. Vacuum is used for a ton of things in your car

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
here are the common ones on the ATW, AEB has less. also, the "L" shaped hose between the intake and coolant tank is prone for failure.

·
Registered
633 Posts
How can the AEB get away with so few vacuum hoses? On my ATQ I replaced 10 pieces of hose. I have got a few more cylinders but no turbo and that has got to add complexity.

·
Registered
972 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
iirc, the AEB doesn't have the SAIP (#3) and the line which goes from one port on the intake mani to the other (#1)
hey, I have a AWM engine, and I was trying to replace #1 hose. How do you get the button end out? it seems to me that it's sucking/clamping inside the mani.

I dont see any hose clamp holding it, and it doenst matter how hard pulled it, it just dont come off. Seems like the clamp is inside the manif. any idea?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Id highly recommend changing the two 3.5mm hoses on the AEB. When i replaced my DV and installed my boost guage, both of the braided stock lines were disintegrating and falling apart. And i wondered why my gas mileage sucked. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
AWM how do all of you guys get to all of the vacuum lines, tees, valves under the intake manifold? My gas mileage has steadily been decreasing over the past few months (from 28mpg to 19mpg) and its starting to have choppy acceleration under 3/4 to full throttle. Anyone have a detailed write-up on changing these lines?

·
Registered
972 Posts
well I replaced all the vacuum hoses; it's not rocket science, when you reach the end of the hose that's under the intake manifold, use a needle plier to pull it out. tighten the new hoses with zipties.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
You AEB guys spend much time under the car? There are a few more under the intake plenum, IIRC it has a tee in it, so there are 3 more lines than to 2 mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
luvmyb5 said:
You AEB guys spend much time under the car? There are a few more under the intake plenum, IIRC it has a tee in it, so there are 3 more lines than to 2 mentioned above.
Really??? You wouldn't happen to have a picture from underneath, or a diagram showing these 3 lines? I recently changed "all both" of the lines I knew of on my AEB, so I'm wondering if there is more to be done.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I put red lines where are their approximate locations (you can see the line just under the red line going to the picture's right). The circle is where the nipple that connects the lines to the plenum is located. Be careful with the tee, it'll break. As a matter of fact, just go buy another one that'll fit your new lines.
This is the thumbnail, click it to get a larger view-

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
luvmyb5- Thanks...I'm just leaving work now, so I'll take a look at it when I get out to my car.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a AEB engine and I can only find the two hoses mentioned earlier in this thread (one of which I found completely severed). Acceleration is extremely slow and needless to say I will be replacing the hoses tomorrow..

Has anyone else found the ones under the intake plenum? Using a mirror and a torch hasn't shed any light on these for me.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
The lines under the intake are not as small as the others and are not as quick to fail. I would not worry about them unless you have a problem after replacing the smaller lines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts