Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a ValentineOne that I had hardwired into the fusebox that worked beautifully. Yesterday, a year later, I tried to hardwire my XM SkyFi receiver by cutting the cigarette lighter adaptor end off, stripping some wire, crimping on a simple spade to the end and plugging it into an available hole in the fuse box (windshield washer circuit I believe). Nothing. Tried the next hole. Nothing. Tried every single available hole with and without the ignition on... nothing! I cannot get power to my XM receiver any longer. Any ideas or tips? :(

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
There should be two leads, one for +12v and the other for ground. Make sure you've got the ground side to a good ground and the 12v side in something that gives you a good 12v signal. There's a writeup in the Info forum about hardwiring devices, might want to check there.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The power wire for this thing is just one wire though, not two (+ / -). I'll go mess with it again this afternoon.

Also, I can't find the hardwiring writeup in the Information forum. Anyone have it bookmarked?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
the might have combined the power and groudn into one wire. carefully strip it back and sections and see if the negative is actually wrapped around a separately insulated positive wire.

Unless it has another wire coming from it that it uses for ground, it MUST have both.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not even close.....

The SkyFi is NOT 12 volts..... look at the plug going into the cradle. Sadly, you chopped before realizing that (lesson learned?....check twice, cut once..lol). Hopefully, you still have the adapter for the lighter. Just go to radio shack, get a female version, hard wire that in somewhere, plug it in and hide the whole mess.

Done

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
warknj said:
I got one of these http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=hardwire. I also used a blitzsafe adaptor and hid it all behind the HU. Drilled a small hole in the "6th" switch and all the wires are hidden.
I like the look of that! But forty bucks is pretty pricey for such a simple task. I'll give it some thought- bookmarked it.

Yes, I still have the power plug from the SkyFi- didn't throw that away. And sho 'nuff, there is two wires in there! I put a spade at the end of both of them and plugged them into the windshield washer circuit... nothing. Do I physically ground the negative wire on one of the screws instead?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gurft said:
the might have combined the power and groudn into one wire. carefully strip it back and sections and see if the negative is actually wrapped around a separately insulated positive wire.

Unless it has another wire coming from it that it uses for ground, it MUST have both.
You were right! :shock: I attached the ground to a screw on the dashboard chassis and the positive spade into an active fuse slot, but I'm still getting nothing. Is the SkyFi receiver really not 12v? Is that my problem? I'm hoping my BEL detector is- haven't chopped that one up yet...

If anyone has any previous info links on doing this, I would REALLY appreciate seeing them because I can't find them. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I suspect, as with most Delphi units, that it is actually a 6 volt unit....I left the plug on the end of the cord and bought a cigarette lighter socket from Radio Shack (about 6 bucks). I tapped onto the ignition switched power line at the radio (small red wire) and one of the radio ground wires (brown, I think) and mounted the socket to the bottom of the cubby (I have a single DIN) behind the climate controls...Then simply plug in the adapter and route the wire where you need it to go....Hope this helps. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.