Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have a puddle in the passenger seat that respawns itself. I am not getting a drip inside now that I've cleaned out the sunroof drains. Still, puddles continue to form. I have also looked at the cabin filter and sealed it tight. We haven't had any rain, so this puddle has to come from:

1. Lots of morning dew
2. Heater core :(
3. A/C drain

Or at least that's how I see it. I doubt #1, and I hope it's not #2; there's no indication of the fluid being coolant. I have heard about the A/C condensor drains causing puddles. How do I check this?

·
Registered
443 Posts
If it was your heater core, you'd know it. The smell and mess are unmistakable.

When you run the a/c and shut it off. Do you get the dripping outside the car near the passenger-side wheel? (This would be normal.) If not, your drain's clogged for sure. Anyway, if you get under the car in that area and search upwards, you'll see the rubber outlet for the ac drain. You can fish up in there with a bent coat hanger and see if you can clean it out.

Worst case for that clog is if it is clogged up at the evaporator side in the passenger compartment. It's tough to get to the hose from that end but sometimes the clog is there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took care of the sunroof drains already. I ran a small stream of water from a hose off it for 20 minutes without any more leaking from my passenger side ceiling bulb. Yet the puddles persist. I'll hope to find a small puddle when I get home today.

I have a 3/8" hose cleaner I use for cleaning my homebrew lines that I imagine will fit in just fine. It cleaned out the sunroof drains just fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've crawe
led under the car and after a bunch of screwing around, I could swear I have found a drain hose. However, dicking with it has come up blank. Under the car, near the passenger axle, I see a part of the heat shielding on the firewall peeled in to a small opening. There I find a bit of black rubber sticking out, and my pipe cleaner can get into it a ways. However, it comes out dry, with perhaps what looks like a piece or two of foam at the most. Somehow it just doesn't seem right.

I will try to get a picture, but does that description match anything?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The drain plug looks like this.

Can I see that in a larger resolution? I think that's what I was poking at. It had that lip, and I found there wasn't one on the opposite side.

I was hoping to dig in there with the A/C running and see if I could get some fresh condensation, but I don't the A/C runs without the engine going. There was no way in hell I was going to turn that on when I had it raised up.

When I pulled the cleaner out of there, it wasn't damp or anything. So either I was looking in the wrong place, or that was a hell of a clog.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
That's max. resolution. That's as large as the image is and it simply points to the firewall of the passenger side. There is also a chance that the drain funnel is cracked and leaking or the drain plug is not seated properly. If you take your glove box out, you should be able to see the drain funnel from the a/c housing to the drain plug. With the glove box out, others have been able to remove the screws holding the drain funnel and remove it to see if there is a clog somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.