Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now installed all the pieces from the HKB5Variant wood trim kit on my B5.5 except for the front ashtray cover. I had a nightmare rying to remove the double-DIN radio myself and finally had to pay the installer at Best Buy $20 to get it out for me. It took him a good 20 minutes to do it since I had kind of messed up the retaining clips trying to get the radio out myself with the pendaflex file folder pieces. Once the radio was out, installing the replacement piece for the radio/AC was easy, but I did have to buy a set of screwdrivers for Torx screws to remove the OEM piece. The one slight additional complication was that the cutout for the ASR button on the bottom left corner was a little small on the new piece and I had to sand it down with a file.

I've been told that for the front ashtray removal, you have to remove a few screws to get the center console loose to move it back a little bit to take out the OEM ashtray cover. I would like to know exactly how many screws I have to take out and where they are. I hate to take apart more of the interior bits than necessary and the whole center console seems like too big a part to just be held by 2 or 3 screws.

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
373 Posts
PDF sent to email.

Joe

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Your better off with the whole center arm console removal to get to the ashtray. It's a good way of learning how to take apart your car. 3 screws on the inside of the armrest (after removal of the bin) the the 2 screws in the sides close to the front. then you have to jiggle it away. only then can you get at the ashtray cover.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
pull the parking brake sleave off.

remove 3 screws under console:

remove 2 screws, one on each side. use a small screwdriver and pry the cap off. don't use a big one like me, cuz you'll scratch it up.

and when you pull it out, be careful because there are 2 retaining tabs in the back. you can see one which i broke off in the picture.

anyway, once you do that, pull the rear center console portion off, and then take off ther front one.

then pull the retaining clips on each side of the ashtray cover, and pull the spring off. reinstall the spring and clips on the new cover.

·
Registered
303 Posts
D.Passat00,

Good write-up and helpful pics. I'm just wondering why you didn't replace the piece of trim around the climate control knobs? Didn't you get that piece in your kit? Maybe you got a different kit from mine. That piece was actually the most annoying for me because I had to push on it REALLY hard to get it to snap into place. And even then, it sticks out a tiny bit on the bottom.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Velo,

I have the exact same problem with the piece around the climate controls. Did you also buy yours from HKB5Variant? The bottom edge sticks out a little no matter how hard I've tried to snap it into place. Also, one of the door handle pieces (front passenger) doesn't quite snap in perfectly. All in all, I am very happy with my $79 investment in the wood trim kit. It's not real wood, but you'd be hard pressed to tell it apart from the OEM wood trim. The wood kit gives my all-black interior a bit of warmth and contrast.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
velo said:
D.Passat00,

Good write-up and helpful pics. I'm just wondering why you didn't replace the piece of trim around the climate control knobs? Didn't you get that piece in your kit? Maybe you got a different kit from mine. That piece was actually the most annoying for me because I had to push on it REALLY hard to get it to snap into place. And even then, it sticks out a tiny bit on the bottom.
it's a PITA to change...i really couldn't get it into place. but even if i could, i don't think i would because i scratch that piece a lot when i'm using the climate buttons (you can kind of see that in the picture). the wood paint is only on the top surface, so if i scratch it off, then you'd see the portion below, which isn't very good looking.

also, i had a helluva time putting the driver's side door piece on. the window buttons were off by quite a bit. i had to really trim those down. the front passenger's side piece also doesn't fit very well. oh, and the front ashtray piece doesn't have paint on the inside, so if you open the tray, then they're gonna see the non-painted portion. and i had to trim the ASR button. all in all, a nice looking set, but there are some improvements. still, for the price, i think it's well worth it. 8)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Is the pdf for b5 or b5.5 center consoles. I dropped something into my center console and I need to pull out the ashtray to get to it.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
Is the pdf for b5 or b5.5 center consoles. I dropped something into my center console and I need to pull out the ashtray to get to it.
Wedding Ring? :lol:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
no, the black plastic stub on the back of the radio...I can hear it rattling around in there, just can get to it.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
Can you not get it out by removing the climatronic unit and whatever's in the bottom DIN slot.

I dropped the end of my screwdriver in there and got it out that way.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
mycarsavw said:
Can you not get it out by removing the climatronic unit and whatever's in the bottom DIN slot.

I dropped the end of my screwdriver in there and got it out that way.
No, tried that. It dropped down a level. It sounds like it's right behind the ashtray. I dropped a socket in the same spot and it ended up right under the ashtray. The magnet thing came in handy to fish it out.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,713 Posts
Don't know if you'll get a reply or even a fix. It looks like it was a search result which is now outdated and thus a dead link never to return.

If you want to know how to get the ashtray portion out in a B5.5:
1. slide both seats all the way back
2. Pop off the small oval cover on each side where the front and rear of the center console meet.
3. remove the screws/bolts under those little covers
4. Push forward on the front part of the console to release form the rear portion (may take some force).
5. unplug electrics and remove.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts