Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wasn’t the control arms after all . . .

The front end of my '99 variant developed a clunk about 6 months ago. It’s been getting progressively worse with each passing day. I was heartsick with the possibility that one of the control arms had gone bad. Five months ago, the dealer confirmed my fear and generously offered to replace all the control arms for over $900 --- not including labour. :shock:

To my mind, however, the clunk didn’t match the diagnosis. I would only hear it when one wheel went over a bump. Speed bump wouldn’t produce a clunking noise at all.

Now, I’ve been lurking around these parts for a few years now; and I’ve learned a great deal. After a bit of thinking and searching the archives, I decided to try replacing the sway bar links first. I ordered a pair of links form ECS, but I had no luck trying to pop the old ones off. So, I brought her in to a local mechanic to have it done. He ended up cutting the old links off in order to complete the task.

The result: The clunk is GONE.

Total Cost: $120

Thanks CB5.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
On the control arms, before they get really bad, can a person use one of those syringes that you put on a grease pump and put some grease in there to extend a while?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thats why I love car clubs, and message boards!!! True Story!
Another wallet saved, from a money hungry Stealership! :b5:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I have the same problem. Good thing I bought everythign while my wife was deployed and not here to say no. :lol: Or "distract" me, or "convince" me I don't need it. :kiss: :heart: God bless her little heart.......like sex could keep me from modding! :eek:

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
You know that there is a TSB addressing this on 98 & 99 cars. In mid year on 99 models they started to use the new linkage with improved bushings. There was voluntary recall from VW and they would replace the linkages for free, however being 2004 I guess they won't now.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I :heart: C :b5:
I'm going to be doing the sway bar links this spring: anyone got experience doin' it themselves?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
On the control arms, before they get really bad, can a person use one of those syringes that you put on a grease pump and put some grease in there to extend a while?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have saved atleast a $2000-3000 because of CLUBB5 forum :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer: :beer:

Major savings:
Brakes twice atleast $500 X 2, Timing belt, water pump $500, sunroof, belly pan twice
and the list goes on.....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Great story!
I saved a bunch of money on doing things myself with the things I learned from other people on this forum.....But I have also spent a bunch of money on mods that I would have otherwise never known about. :lol: I figure I broke even between $ spent on mods and $ saved on repairs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts