Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Good points.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Probably a fabricated manifold, though it's hard to tell from the tiny pic. It's not hard to weld together four tubes into an off the shelf collector, however reliability will probably be shady. Downpipe would be easy especially since companies like ATP sell pre-fab'd flanges. After you spend your $2200 on this parts bag who would you take the car to for tuning?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
This is his reply to my email:
Hi,

Who are these guys? Sorry man, they dont know anything. The GT28RS turbo is out since last november. i am garrett distribuitor and I make my own kits. Sometimes I use ATP parts (like flanges, DP, etc) but must of times I custom made my own stuff. Looks better and nice. I have 2000 A4 1.8T (you can see on my site) and I have GT30R turvo set up. 335hp at wheels. I am swaping my turbo for GT28RS in few days. I willl loose some hp but will spool up much faster. I GARANTEE my kits fit any 1.8T engine. Thanks

Best Regards,
Rubens Filho
www.audspeed.com

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You Sir are Super pro-active, and I commend you for it! :bow:

I wish I could pysically check these custom fab parts.

Not to mention going with a tuner with a good reputation and good customer service (ATP) for the same price, but wait a few months is a tough decision...
I think the ATP kit COMES with injectors too....

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
you should email him and see what kind of price a group buy would get. If I had a 1.8T instead of a V6, I'd love to get this. It's cheaper than a supercharger too

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
The supercharger comes with everything you need, though. For this you need to add in the cost of fueling upgrades, engine management tuning, and some buffer for the costs that always come along when you're doing custom projects. The cost of engine management tuning could be rather significant if you don't have someone near you. For $2200 all you're getting is a turbo and the parts needed to bolt it on. If you can find someone to do the tuning it's a good deal although this is more than enough turbo to blow up your motor if it's not done right.

You guys do understand the powercharacteristics this turbocharger will have, right? I.e. none at all under 4000-4500rpm 8)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
double dag, almost like the guy who hooked two turbines up to his car and drove straight into a cliff cause he couldn't stop......times like this I wish they had the smiley that beats his head against the brick wall :lol:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish they had the smiley that beats his head against the brick wall :lol:
I'll do one better.

Oh, Mac, What is your opinion on the GT28RS hoopla over on the vortex? Several guys are pulling down some VERY impressive numbers, and great times with the ATP kit...

I'll give you some links incase you arn't savvy on the subject.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1199060
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1253729
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1241641

p.s. Hows the WRX, anything new to it????

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Looks like a good turbo. Well all the GT's are good turbos. I'm not sure that I would want this type of turbo on a FWD car though. My biggest concern would be the extreme shortage of ECU tuners in the US. What are you going to do about that? The vortex crowd seems content to run an MBC and big injectors and call it done. Maybe that will be OK, but it's pretty dangerous. Only time will tell how well those setups hold together.

My WRX is going very well.. got a UTEC installed and now just thumbing through the turbo options (of which there are many). I'm leaning towards a Mitsu TD05-18g. Having a large selection of bolt-on turbos is very nice.

Good luck with your big turbo ventures :)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I blow up my engine with the UTEC?

Absolutely!
:thumbup:

Cool toy! The ultimate chip!

Oh, I agree about the shortage of tuning options out there, but this turbo IS very young (in the grand scheme of things) and i'm crossing my fingers that we'll see the numbers of reputable software makers grow. I think alot of the guys that are running the MBCs and injectors WANT to go with good software (like the REVO big turbo) coming out but they just couldn't wait. Kinda like me. :nervous:

Regardless, Its going to be a very good year for upgrading the 1.8T!

(and thanks!)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Macabre said:
I'm leaning towards a Mitsu TD05-18g.

eh, go with the 20G ;)

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
20g is big enough that octane becomes the limiting factor on a 2L Subaru engine so it's lots more lag with only a little more HP on pump fuel.. Great turbo for people upgrading to the 2.5L STI block or 2L on race gas though

t3/t4 requires fab'ing up lots of hardware to install it which is completely unnecessary at this power level given how many good turbochargers will bolt on stress free.

Anyways, I'm "only" shooting for 280-290awhp or so.. ! I might even do a "big" 16g instead..

·
Registered
402 Posts
This guy has a monster A4. He is real, and uses kits similar to the ATP kits (www.atpturbo.com). I have been toying with this idea for a while now and have corresponded with Rubin. BTW, the 28RS has the same flanges as the 28R, which Garrett and ATP sell. They don't look all that difficult (not much more than any other turbo replacement. If RevoTechnik comes out with the big turbo program for the Passat (they have Betas out for the Golf), then this setup will be the deal. Of course the stock mani may not be the most efficient, but it certainly saves on costs.

He has been around for a while. You can check his site at www.audspeed.com, but it is not the most intensive site I have seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts