Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of getting a turbo kit from PES or APR, I was thinking of getting the biggest turbo that can fit in the car and program the car from scratch. Any recommendations on the turbo and what else I need to change in my car. I am going to follow PES/APR in terms of what they changed with their kits. I just am going to use a bigger turbo to max out the power poential.

Ryan

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not sure what you have, but ummm Garrett makes some good stuff. Let's see you could go with a simple GT28RS (350hp), or step up to a GT30 (400hp), or go crazy with something like a GT25/40 (500hp). Those hp estimates are from memory, so they could be off, but how much power do you want to make?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
x said:
Not sure what you have, but ummm Garrett makes some good stuff. Let's see you could go with a simple GT28RS (350hp), or step up to a GT30 (400hp), or go crazy with something like a GT25/40 (500hp). Those hp estimates are from memory, so they could be off, but how much power do you want to make?
as much as the engine can handle...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in terms of th ecu...are there chip that can be programmed to 2 or 3 different programs...such as street and race...where can i buy this stuff

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
pancreas said:
wRAP RAP RAP RAP KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK boooomMMM!!! FFSSSSSSHHHh!!!!!
Doubt that......people have pushed these engine beyond their limits....and they can hadle it fine.

Yes there is few weak points...as any engine....on ours its the rods :(

But these things can handle triple-almost quadriple the HP....on stock internals......tell me 1 engine that can do that.... :lol:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
rollininstyle2004 said:
You would need some serious custum work under the hood to handle 500HP.
That would be crazy, i havent seen to many people go over 300 (i think Billy T had over 300 on a 1.8T, but he blew his motor or something, dont remember exactly)
Blown engine at 300 hp ? that's not even doubling stock ... how can that be :???: But passaturbonium says otherwise, and we know his word is worth it's weight in gold around here :wink:

passaturbonium said:
But these things can handle triple-almost quadriple the HP....on stock internals......tell me 1 engine that can do that....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blown engine at 300 hp ? that's not even doubling stock ... how can that be :???: But passaturbonium says otherwise, and we know his word is worth it's weight in gold around here :wink:

passaturbonium said:
But these things can handle triple-almost quadriple the HP....on stock internals......tell me 1 engine that can do that....
[/quote]

i got to agree with you

·
Registered
580 Posts
wheres macrabe when you need him?!?!? He was always the first guy to start verbally slapping people silly around here.
Anyway, bigshow, how long do you want this engine to last?? Lets call burning more than 2 quarts of oil per 1000 miles = destroyed engine (or big kablooie).

All of my power guesses will be at the crank. Also I'm assuming 50%city, 49% hiway 1% track for useage, and a lead footed driver (lots of stoplight racing and high speed hiway drives.) I am also assuming vigourous adherence to 3000 mile oil changes and no stupid tuning. Keep in mind that to achieve more than 300 hp you WILL need to rev above 6500 rpm and thats what is going to start really destroying the engine quickly. Also, after 250 hp, you will need new injectors and you will probably not pass smog tests anymore).

150 hp = 200,000 miles.
200 hp = 175,000 miles.
250 hp = 150,000 miles.
300 hp = 100,000 miles.
400 hp = 50,000 miles.
500 hp = 25,000 miles.
600 hp = 5,000 miles.
800 hp = 1,000 miles.
1000 hp = 500 mile. (think indy car).
1500 hp = 1 mile (4 runs at a drag strip)

Also, if you really don't understand engine tuning and you are tuning it yourself, i'd halve all the milage figures above 250 hp.

Anyway, just a few guesses.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
According to dahlback you can get 550HP out of a 1.8t but they swap the following during the install

New E-proms in ECU, optimization of flow to intercooler, new turbo, custom built exhaust manifold, intake manifold, wastegate, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, camshafts, crankshaft with increased stroke (2.0 L), piston rods, pistons, oil cooler, clutch, flywheel, air filter, modification of air filter housing and charge air hoses and pipes, extra engine mounts, modification of crank case breather, porting of cylinder head, 2 x race cats, stainless steel exhaust (turbo-back).

No price listed but their 420HP kit is $27K euros. :nervous:

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
vuvision said:
rollininstyle2004 said:
You would need some serious custum work under the hood to handle 500HP.
That would be crazy, i havent seen to many people go over 300 (i think Billy T had over 300 on a 1.8T, but he blew his motor or something, dont remember exactly)

passaturbonium said:
Sorry :oops: I dont remember exactly what happened, i guess i was wrong :oops:
Found it sorry he blew it at 500+hp sorry for the mistake

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PassatX said:
wheres macrabe when you need him?!?!? He was always the first guy to start verbally slapping people silly around here.
Anyway, bigshow, how long do you want this engine to last?? Lets call burning more than 2 quarts of oil per 1000 miles = destroyed engine (or big kablooie).

All of my power guesses will be at the crank. Also I'm assuming 50%city, 49% hiway 1% track for useage, and a lead footed driver (lots of stoplight racing and high speed hiway drives.) I am also assuming vigourous adherence to 3000 mile oil changes and no stupid tuning. Keep in mind that to achieve more than 300 hp you WILL need to rev above 6500 rpm and thats what is going to start really destroying the engine quickly. Also, after 250 hp, you will need new injectors and you will probably not pass smog tests anymore).

150 hp = 200,000 miles.
200 hp = 175,000 miles.
250 hp = 150,000 miles.
300 hp = 100,000 miles.
400 hp = 50,000 miles.
500 hp = 25,000 miles.
600 hp = 5,000 miles.
800 hp = 1,000 miles.
1000 hp = 500 mile. (think indy car).
1500 hp = 1 mile (4 runs at a drag strip)

Also, if you really don't understand engine tuning and you are tuning it yourself, i'd halve all the milage figures above 250 hp.

Anyway, just a few guesses.
i got my uncle (Mr. MAster Mechanic) to help me out...And once my car reaches 100,000 miles it will be only driven on weekends...pretty much import showoff bound

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spanky McGee said:
tell me 1 engine that can do that.... :lol:
MK3 Supra has got to come close? :wink:
After a metal headgasket, nobody know the limits. I think 650+ or so, but the Mk4 can handle up to 1000HP on stock internals.

·
Registered
147 Posts
:thumbup:

GT30R is a good turbo for your car, that is what Billy T is running, I was trying to sell my new GT28RS and manifold for 1300US, which is good for about 300whp on our cars with the correct chip (upsolute version2 big turbo) :thumbup:

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
14 Participants
turbo_tom80
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing