Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious how these cars have all these sponsers? Is this to market the companies name in exchange for free parts and labor? Or most of trhe time do you have to pay for parts and the comapny does the labor? I know that going to shows is what sponsers want but how often do you have to go? Please let me know the 411 on sponsers. Thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: How are sponserships created? (randomact)

trade secrets

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: How are sponserships created? (W8_Pimp)

the sponsor whore Zoom should chime in here

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Re: How are sponserships created? (randomact)

Its kinda like dating you have to sell yourself your car and most importantly your commitment to having a top car in that model range. The show schedule in Cali is huge, therefor I would think that it would be easier to obtain sponsorships, should you have a well placed car at most shows. Edsel is by far the expert in that arena. Maybe he will bless us with his know it all show winning, show judging expertise
Although allot of it has to do with past experience and connections. What kind of sponsorships are you looking for?

<![CDATA[Its kinda like dating you have to sell yourself your car and most importantly your commitment to having a top car in that model range. The show schedule in Cali is huge, therefor I would think that it would be easier to obtain sponsorships, should you have a well placed car at most shows. Edsel is by far the expert in that arena. Maybe he will bless us with his know it all show winning, show judging expertise
Although allot of it has to do with past experience and connections. What kind of sponsorships are you looking for?

[Modified by Blownaway, 4:04 PM 8/22/2002]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: How are sponserships created? (Blownaway)

I was hoping to give my 2002 silverstone alot more character. I was hopign to get the engine painted silverstone, and maybe some different wheels, or a front spoiler? I would sponser anything so long as it looks good and doesn't screw my engine up
I was curious becuase I would like to start going to more shows. Its a trip wherever this car rides people are always coming up to me asking me questions about it. Everyone loves the look.. So I thoguht maybe I could market the look for other peeps and have it benifit me also. Worth a shot!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re: How are sponserships created? (Blownaway)

My del Sol was sponsored by about ten manufacturers. Most of it was free stuff for exposure. I usually paid for labor/installs, but I've heard of places helping out with those costs too. In the end, it ended up with a full magazine feature article, ads in 11 magazines, an extra in the Fast and The Furious and in several booths at shows. That's the stuff that they like to see because it puts you away from the masses.

Normally, just having a nice car is not enough. There are hundreds of nice cars out there. The key is being able to market it. That usually means putting together a portfolio, sending it out to manufacturers and crossing your fingers. The portfolio should do two things. #1 is show the car off. Take lots of nice photos. #2 is have some written areas telling them what you can do for them as far as exposure and what your future plans are for the car. Remeber they owe you nothing and they are interested in what you can do for them. Just having a car at car shows in usually not enough since there are hundreds of cars at any given car show. Expect about a 90% (or more) decline rate.

If you happen to land a sponsorship, they just became your new best friend. Keep in touch with them, tell them when you are going to shows or afterwards what people thought of their products. DO NOT BURN BRIDGES. I know people who would get a set of wheels from one manufacturer, have those on for a couple shows and then ask another manufacturer for their wheels. Manufacturer A sees their car at a show with their competitions's wheels on and you can imagine how happy they are. Do that and you build a bad name for yourself and you are screwed in the future. Build a good name for yourself and you can use your current manufacturers as references for future companies.

In the end, it doesn't hurt to ask, but don't be disappointed if you get a lot of no's.

Todd

·
Registered
342 Posts
Re: How are sponserships created? (Huffster)

Who is a sponsor whore?

Anyways, Huffster already laid down the basics. I cannot say it any better.

BTW just to let you know in types of sponsorships:

1. Full Contracted sponsorship ( Free product, usually 1 year contrct to fullfill)
2. Full Sponsorship in exchange for exposure (Usually no contract, but must fullfill exposure promised, usually mag features)
3. Partial Sponsorship (discounted price)
4. Horse trade sponsorship

Happy sponsor hunting

<![CDATA[Who is a sponsor whore?

Anyways, Huffster already laid down the basics. I cannot say it any better.

BTW just to let you know in types of sponsorships:

1. Full Contracted sponsorship ( Free product, usually 1 year contrct to fullfill)
2. Full Sponsorship in exchange for exposure (Usually no contract, but must fullfill exposure promised, usually mag features)
3. Partial Sponsorship (discounted price)
4. Horse trade sponsorship

Happy sponsor hunting

[Modified by Zoom, 6:11 PM 8/22/2002]

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: How are sponserships created? (Zoom)

Like Zoom said Huffster gave all the major details. At the tuner shop I work at it all depends on how well you campaign your car. If for example you just put a couple windshield banners on the car and place in the top three for small and medium size show we pay your entry fee to up to cash and free parts installs, what ever you would rather prefer. If you go all out and do a full display and sell you soul to us then the stuff you get is even better. It just all depends on how well you campaign and how much time and effert you want to commit to representing are company.

Adam
http://www.fx-motorsports.com
APR distributor

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re: How are sponserships created? (podunk-b5)

Just to throw in a little more info...

I had a bit of all the types listed above. It's a good idea to take whatever you can get and build from that. If you start off with some partial sponsorships, then you are getting that stuff for less than you will ever pay anywhere else, so might as well take advantage of the deal. Maybe down the road, they will make better offers if you have proven yourself. I did that with Khmer Racing Products (rotors, brake lines, brake pads and cam gears) and with Lanzar (Basically got a $5K system for just over $1K).

Most of my full sponsorships were from major exposure tickets. For being an extra in The Fast and The Furious, I basically approached manufacturers and told them that I could make no guarantess about how much big screen exposure they might get, but if they sponsored me and got any, it would be worth their while. It was a gamble, but I was totally up front with them. I offered decal exposure in exchange for products. That was how I got Cobra kevlar race seats and BF Goodrich tires. I also got my car lined up in a booth at the LA Auto Show, which is how I got Lanzar. The magazine feature got me Tekniq (removable steering wheel) and AC Autotechnic (exhaust, intake, sway bars) and a couple others.

The good thing is that I have remained in contact with many of these manufacturers even after I sold my Sol (no pun intended) and some have been helpful in setting me up with stuff for the upcoming Passat. Since it's Euro versus Japanese, a lot of these would not roll over into this new car. If I had gone with another Honda, I could probably do a show car almost overnight because all these old sponsors would probably help out again.

In the end, I can't stress enough the importance of staying on good terms with the ones you land and not burning bridges. Many people get greedy and that will kill you in the long run.

On a side note...I have not spoken to my guy at Branzach Corp. He's a guy who was from QT Alloys that I kept in touch with. He started his own wheel company. They are going to sponsor my Passat and I think that they might want a couple more cars to sponsor that are going to be in shows. They are fairly new and do not have a big selection, but I like their design that they kind push for BMW, Mercedes and Lexus. I'll see what he says and maybe we can get a person or two hooked up on here...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts