Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still haven't bought a laptop. Kind of got turned off to the Dell laptop I was going to get after seeing one in person at a local mall kiosk.

Been looking at a good deal on an Acer laptop, Travelmate 291 LCiG at buy.com for $1250, free shipping and no tax.

This price is basically $300 cheaper than the Dell with all of the features I want.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Go to your local wallmart and check out this laptop. It might ring up at $798 even though the sticker is higher... hint hint

HP Pavilion ZE5547WM Notebook PC
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2437907&sourceid=11904544683359880602

Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.66 GHz
512 MB DDR SDRAM40 GB hardrive
15-inch XGA TFT flat screen monitor
DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive
Integrated 54g wireless LAN
64 MB DDR SDRAM video memory (shared)
Integrated 56 Kbps (v.90/v.92) modem
Integrated 10/100 Base-T Ethernet LAN
AC power adapter High Capacity 8-cell lithium-ion battery
Weight: 7.5 pounds, including battery
Dimensions: 12.9"L x 10.7"W x 1.7"H
1-year limited hardware warranty, 90 days software support
External ports: 3 USB 2.0, 1 parallel, 1 RJ-11 modem port, 1 RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 IR, 1 microphone and headphone connection, 1 lock, 1 VGA, 1 TV-out (S-video), 1 IEEE-1394 port
Software included: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (including Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Internet Explorer), InterVideo WinDVD, Roxio Easy CD Creator, MusicMatch Jukebox, Corel Productivity Pack includes: Corel Quatro Pro 10 and Corel WordPerfect 10, Microsoft Windows Media Player 9.0

·
Registered
893 Posts
While you may be turned off to the dell... a great deal can still be had to make it more worth your while.

Two months ago I got the following refurb (plus the standard stuff such as sound, cables, modem, 10/100 ethernet, etc) for ~$1200. Note that dell's refurbs are totally rebuilt and come with the same warrenties as their new systems. I also googled for an online coupon to get a good chunk of the price (a good idea no matter where you shop):

I have absolutely no complaints. I even added a Dell internal Bluetooth card ($29) for hook up with my phone and a future bluetooth mouse.

Inspiron 8600

Pentium-M 1.4GHz w/ Centrino (Equiv to a 2.4ghz P4 but better battery life)
512MB RAM
15.4" widescreen SXGA+ screen
32MB NVidia 5200go graphics card
40gig 5400rpm hard disk
DVD+RW/CDRW cobo drive
Built in 802.11b wireless
Windows XP Home
1 year warrenty

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have commented on it before, but I have been nothing short of Delighted with my HP zx3000 notebook.

1.3" thick, 6.4lbs, only 2 tenths of an inch thicker, and 14 ounces heavier then a Appler 15" power book, with all the same functionality.

4+ hour battery life, 15.4" wide screen, 1.6Ghz Pentium M processor(benchmarkes equal to a 3.06Ghz P4), Firewire, USB2.0, 802.11G wireless, Bluetooth, the list goes on.

For $1500

-Nick

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Acer is one of the only major manufacturers to consistently get Do Not Buy ratings from PC Magazine. Their desktops are bad, real bad. The notebooks are supposed to be much worse. It is something I would not spend money on. For a little more you can go HP, personally I like IBM or Dell.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
VdubTX said:
Anyone with first hand experiene with Acer? Quality etc?
All I can speak from is my own experience. At work we had approx. 15 Acer desktops the state purchased in 2000. They were by far, no holds barred, the worst pieces of crap I have ever used. I don't know what the trouble was but almost every one of ours eventually had to be replaced before their 3-year service life was up. I would never buy an Acer if I didn't have to.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
a4passata6 said:
VdubTX said:
Anyone with first hand experiene with Acer? Quality etc?
All I can speak from is my own experience. At work we had approx. 15 Acer desktops the state purchased in 2000. They were by far, no holds barred, the worst pieces of crap I have ever used. I don't know what the trouble was but almost every one of ours eventually had to be replaced before their 3-year service life was up. I would never buy an Acer if I didn't have to.

Yes, yes, and more yes -- they *consistently* get low rankings on many roundups and are more trouble than they're worth, imo.

I'd go with the Dell if they have the features you want, or if you're into gaming, Alienware makes a nice one, but they can run expensive.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I finally made my laprop purchase after weeks of deciding on what to get.

I ended up getting a Dell.

Inspiron 600M
XP Home
Pentium M 1.4Ghz
384 MB Ram (will upgrade to 512 after I get it)
40GB HD
CDRW/DVD combo
Wireless B/G card
1 yr in Home warranty

After $150 rebate and 15% off it will be a hair over $1200.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Acer laptops make great paperweights! :lol:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Got an acer laptop for my wife. For the most part it's great, though with a few exceptions:

1. Runs hot.
2. Every once and a while has power problems.

I figure the first problem is probably just the way things go, but the second i would suspect has to do that we got it nearly as soon as this new model came out ( TravelMate 633).

The one thing I REALLY WANT TO SEE ON OTHER LAPTOPS that this one has is a 5 degree curve on the keyboard. I'm very used to ergonomic keyboards and you have no idea how much that subtle curve makes a difference when typing. But NO ONE else makes a laptop with a curved keyboard. Wondering if they have it patented :suspicio:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts