Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That shit last night wasn't Hockey at all. Marc Crawford and his "hitmen" need to look deep into their souls and think about what went on last night between the Colorado Avs and the Vancouver Canucks. What a freaking mess of a game. The Avs ended up winning the game 9 to 2 but that's the least of the story. It was an ugly, ugly mess of a game and not what Hockey is all about. Hockey is a tough game granted, but there is never any need to stock and attack another player as brutally as was deminstarted last night. And it can't be stated that it was an accident either. Fox Sports Rocky Mountain had an Iso camera on Scott Moore all night and caught the incident dead to rights. It was way obvious what happened.

I'm freaking PISSED and sad after seeing that! I hope the Candian officials file crimial charges against the Canuck player. There is legal presidence for this and well deserved. There is also a video taped interview floating around out there stating that a "bounty" was placed on Scott Moore's head after a hit was put on another Canuck player several games ago against the Avs. Anyone that follows the Avs or Canucks knows the bad blood that has been brewing between the two clubs for a while now. But this is no way to deal with it.

And how cowardly the Canucks are to wait until the last regular season game to exact revenge on Moore. They could have done so twice before while playing in Denver. But they waited until they were on home ice. Cowardly is the only word that fits.

Say what you will, but that was bad for Hockey and for profesional sports in in general. :cry: :suspicio:

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
That kind of shit is bad for hockey. As if the NHL isn't in a bad situation as it is, low ratings and a potential lockout.

Whatever the league decides on doing to Bertuzzi, I hope they do the right thing. I don't blame the entire Vancouver Canucks organization. I'm sure not every player and staff support what Bertuzzi did. But to Crawford and Bertuzzi, I :puke: on you.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that Rich. I couldn't think of how to spell his name (Bertuzzi) correctly so I didn't.

And you're right, I would bet that some folks in that organization wanted no part in that. But why Bertuzzi? He's their freaking Star!!! He won't play for the rest of the year now! :roll: I know he's a bit of an inforcer, but don't they have a goon or two? Not to say that it needed to be done, but Christ, what a bunch of idiots!!! I understand that players get pissed at eachother for all sorts of reasons. The reason The Canucks were upset with Moore was because of a hit a couple of games ago where the two players involved more or less came from two different directions and collided. Moore got the better of the hit I guess. And for that the Canucks were pissed. Then during last nights game Moore scores a goal and stands up to another Canuck Player during a fight and again gets the upper hand. So now they are really pissed at him. Steve Moore is a good young player with a good future, let's hope he makes a full recovery and plays again.

As for this kind of activity in all of Profesional sports, I hate it. And I'm not sure I want my kids to watch hockey any more now. Right after the whole incident with Letrell Spreewell in the NBA, I stopped watching pro basketball. This isn't a good thing for Sports. Not at all. :sad: :( :sad: :(

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Moore out for rest of season with neck injury

ESPN.com news services said:
VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore underwent surgery for a fractured vertebra Tuesday and will miss the remainder of the season, the team said.

"Steve Moore will remain hospitalized in Vancouver for an indefinite period of time," Avalanche head trainer Pat Karns said in a statement. "Exams have revealed that Steve sustained a concussion and a cervical injury [neck fracture] and will be out at least for the remainder of the season. He also suffered deep facial lacerations and abrasions to the forehead, right cheek and upper lip.

[more]

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Whoa!:shock: I didn't think Moore was injured that bad.

If that doesn't ratchet up the punishmend to Bert, I don't know what the NHL is thinking. Regular season and the entire playoffs vwithout pay has to be the punishment. What a moron!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
That game was out of hand from the beginning.

Moore went after Cooke of all people to fight, I mean cmon, Cooke is no fighter, why go after him. That was a cheap move on Moore's part and he paid for it later in the game.

May tried to fight him, but he shrugged it off, Ruutu went after him as well, but he chickened out. So towards the end, tempers high, down 9-2 for crying out loud, shit got out of hand once agin. That shit with Worrell jabbing someone on the bench was bs, and I don't think brookbank should've got a penalty for anything there, as it was Worrell who was holding May i think infront of our boards.

I do agree Tuzzi should've at least hit Moore from the front, as opposed to the side of the head from behind, but the only reason it looked so bad was because Moore went down knocked out and then slid along the ice with more and more people piling on top of him. Tuzzi I can tell didn't want it to go that far, he's not "that" kind of player. And some people are saying he pushed on his way down and then rubbed him into the ice, I don't agree with that, I think it looked that way with the way Tuzzi was holding onto his jersey and then fell on top of him.

That entire game was bad, no matter how you look at it.

Oh well, let's see what that useless NHL commisioner comes up with as a form of punishment :eek:h:

"7:07 AM EST, 03/09/2004
Canucks' Bertuzzi suspended indefinitely

NEW YORK - Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi has been suspended indefinitely, without pay, after being assessed a Match penalty for deliberate injury of Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore during NHL Game #1028 Monday night.

The penalty was assessed at 8:41 of the third period.
A hearing will be conducted Wednesday at 9 a.m., ET, at the League's Toronto office."

http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/news/2004/03/205678.html

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Wasn't Bertuzzi the one who always got booed during All-Star weekend in Minnesota?

BTW, I think what made the injury worse was that someone went after Bertuzzi, and everyone else went after the other, while Bertuzzi was still on top of Moore. I saw the video, pretty much everyone piled on top of Moore.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Rich P said:
Moore out for rest of season with neck injury

ESPN.com news services said:
VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore underwent surgery for a fractured vertebra Tuesday and will miss the remainder of the season, the team said.

"Steve Moore will remain hospitalized in Vancouver for an indefinite period of time," Avalanche head trainer Pat Karns said in a statement. "Exams have revealed that Steve sustained a concussion and a cervical injury [neck fracture] and will be out at least for the remainder of the season. He also suffered deep facial lacerations and abrasions to the forehead, right cheek and upper lip.

[more]
Ouch, hope he recovers fully.

Ya, i'd have to say that neck injury was most likely caused by the 4 person pile-up ontop of Moore, not the punch. Same with the facial lacerations, if you watch the replay, he's just unconscious from the punch, but as he begins sliding along the ice, and people piled up you can see the blood trail start.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think it was more his face stopping the fall than the dog pile on top of him. You said it yourself, he was unconscious from the punch, so Moore didn't get to put his arms out to stop his face from hitting the ice first. Add a 235+ lbs. Bert onto your back and that is where the injuries came from.

I've watched the film a bunch of times and I get sick everytime. It's just disgusting.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Part of this is simply hockey being hockey. From what I've read the two teams had a history and infact Bertuzzi was trying to retaliate for the Avs injuring one of his linemates. While I agree the injurous way in which he went about it was excessive lets face it hockey has been about violence for a long time and I think it would be hypocritical to start persuing criminal charges now

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well folks can say that it was the dog pile ontop of Moore that lead to the neck injury. Sure. Now tell me again why was he down on the ice again? Oh yeah, Bertuzzi punched him from behind. Moore had no idea that was coming and had no way to defend himself. So what if he picked a few fights throughout the game. The Canucks had a bounty on his head. Hell, I'd fight a few fights too. He had to, he's new to the league and wants to stand up for himself. He was trying to get what all the other players in the league want, some respect. He did that last night, and then some. I don't think he chickened out at all. I think he was being smart and could see where the game was going. Remember the bounty?

And as for the game being out of hand right from the start, well, yeah. 3 Colorado goals in 51 seconds during the first period. I guess if you are a Canucks fan that would seem out of hand. Hell, the end score was more like a Baseball score than a hockey game.
Hell, in all of the crap that happened during the game no one seems to look at the goal tending of David Abescher or the Hat Trick of Milan H. (I ain't even going to try that last name. :roll: ). That's how bad the game was.

And screw Crawford, his smuge ass look as Granato was calling him out. I used to have respect for him. No longer. :roll: :evil:

Am I being a Homer? Probably, but that hit was wrong and no one can deny that. And again, there was nothing hockey like about that hit. That had nothing to do with hockey or sports. That might as well had been a mugging on the streets of Vancouver. :roll:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with you Chas.

The game was out of hand and the refs are as much to blame as the players. What were they thining letting all that crap go on. :crazy: They have the power to kick players out and last night they should have done it.

May taunting Abischer - twice. Warell poking sticks at players on the bench. Crawford not controlling his team. A bounty on a players head.... It was like "Slap-Shot" but not funny, it was sick. :eek: :puke:

As for the fall out, we all will have to wait and see. Personally I think Bertuzzi is going to find himself out of a job.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
There is a clip on the ESPN article that Rich P posted a link to and there are a few other links in the NHL thread.

I wouldn't expect many of them to be working right now as this story is getting a lot of play in the news.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I saw and have seen on the news since (of course this is a big story here in Denver, CO) is that Bertuzzi was stocking him down from behind for a full 15 seconds or so. All the while holding his sweater with his left hand from the back to stay close. Then when Moore started to angle in toward the play for the puck, Bertuzzi dropped his stick to the ice and swung around from behind with his right. Nailing Moore in the side of the head and dropping him. He could have let it go at that, but it is clear from the footage that he then followed him down to the ice to pile on. Then another Avs player hits Bertuzzi from behind, followed by a Canucks player in a four person dog pile. :( :sad:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/news/2004/03/206088.html

Bertuzzi is gone for the rest of the regular season plus the playoffs. He forfeits the rest of his salary ($500K) and has to be reinstated at the beginning of next seasons training camp by Bettman.

I think its a fitting punishment. Glad to see the NHL stepped up to this one properly.

Get better Moore!!!

Now, let's get the focus away from this mess and back on the wonderful game of hockey. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But Andrew, it goes deeper than just this one situation. Did you hear the GM of the Canucks whine about how he now has to go in front of the league office and beg for reinstatment for a "first team, All Star?" And how his team is put out by his abcence from the ice. WHAT THE F*$%!!!!!!!! Who cares about what Todd Bertuzzi is feeling right now. He should feel like crap. There is a young man in a hospital bed right now wondering if his playing days might be over. He did a horrible thing to another human being. So what if Steve Moore wasn't a Star. Who cares that Todd Bertuzzi is considered a Star? And that was a major part of what was concidered in the whole 10 minutes that it took the league officials to conduct their inquest before handing out the fines and punishments this morning. And it's that thought proccess that is the real core issue with all of Major League Hockey. The NHL will always be considered a "nitch" sport until the actions and attitudes that have played themselves out this week end.

Did you know that more people watch major dog show competitions in North America that NHL games? It's true. And until the curture of violence and caste systems are removed from the game, it will always be that way.

I agree with you that Hockey is a wonderful game, but I'm not sure I want my son to continue to watch hockey games with me. Something he and I love to do together. :???: :roll:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Chas, I never liked Brian Burke. He whines and moans about everything that doesn't go his way. Last season he was whining about not being about to keep step with the larger market big money teams. This season he was whining about not having his contract renewed quick enough, he started to refer to himself as a Lame-Duck GM. I can't explain the workings behind what Burke says. He is an idiot.

I know that the NHL isn't exactly a ratings juggernaut. I can not attribute the ratings slump to crap like Bertuzzi taking out Moore. This whole mess isn't the norm as many non-hockey literate sportswriters would have you believe. If I read one more article about this I am going to :puke: .

Violence is a part of many big time sports. But hockey is unfairly labeled as such a sport because of the fighting that is tolerated. Do you read about the violence of football on every major news media when Brian Urlacher plows into a QB a few seconds late and drives the QB into the turf seperating his shoulder? What about when Ty Law tatoos a WR when he's out of bounds and flips him head over heals landing on his head? What about when Pedro Martinez chucks a 100 mph fast ball at Jason Giambi's head? Or the bench clearing brawls in baseball that happen pretty frequently? I don't think the NHL is any more violent that any other major sport. It just gets the headlines when something like this happens, then everyone and their mother complains about the fighting in hockey.

The funny thing is, if the NHL took away the instigator rule, this probably wouldn't have happened. Moore knocks out Naslund, then May or another Canuck fights Moore, and thats the end of it. Many many hockey experts feel the same way. Let the players deal with this at that time, don't let it sit ans stew until someone acts like an asshole (i.e. Bertuzzi) and seriously injures a totally unaware player.

IMHO, the reason that the NHL is sometimes aweful to watch is the expansion. It stretched the talent pool to thin. So you have talent-lacking teams playing systems that make the game very booring to watch. I think the CBA work stoppage could be a good thing, I'd love to see some teams dissappear.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I don't think the punishment is severe enough. The way I see it, fighting in ANY SPORT should be punished by taking away the Player's salary for the year plus charges of assault and battery. No questions asked.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
i agree/dissagree with many of the statements made.. but u guys gotta realize.. over the past few years, ref's havent been doing a great job... i mean the amount of fights isnt the problem.. its the amount of missed calls(by the re'fs) that leads to these fights, and then people have reason for "revenge" and when someone is targeted (as moore was) for his cheap hit on Nazlund a few weks ago, ofcourse hes gonna get it back.. i mean wouldnt u get back at someone if you where in that situation? all in all im sure Bertuzzi dindt mean to hurt Moore THAT bad....

i still stand behind Bert, hes a great player, he doesnt play the game like that.. i guess everyone just got caught up in the game...

-Mark-

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
ACraig
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing