Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got '03 GLS Passat with manual climate controls. Wonder what it takes to replace it with Climatronic if possible at all? Parts #s, $? I saw that there are two different part # for the front panel depending on the headunit - single or double DIN. So I guess climate control units are at least the same size plus all wires must be there as well. So in ideal case it would be just to replace manual controls block... Has anyone done it?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
"plus all wires must be there as well."
Nope. Not even close. Unless they did something drastically different in the 03's you are in for a nightmare if you want this accomplished.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Much more than just replacing manual control block...sensors, motors etc. I think the consensus is that it's not feasible. Sorry.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Honestly bitmaster, I have the GLX climatronic and I hate the thing.

Too much work to get climate control working properly. Maybe it's just me but with it, I'm usually too cold or too warm and I dislike how it likes to adjust the blower without my intervention if I'm not careful.

Stick with the dials.

Climatronic = :thumbdow:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got a GLX also, and you've pretty much got to look at the Climatronic panel in order to set the temp and blower speed. It looks clean without knobs, but the small pushbuttons are hard to adjust without taking your eyes off the road. Stick with the manual controls. And as others have mentioned, there is a lot more involved than just the front panel. The Climatronic has an assortment of sensors, small motors and controls for controlling all of the internal flaps and ducts in the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
fyleow
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing