Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m very close to a decision on the purchase of an Arteon. However, Consumer Reports still hasn’t posted their review so I was wondering how those of you with an Arteon feel about yours. If you could post how long you’ve had it, any problems, and the trim I’d greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
So far so good for me. SEL Premium R-Line, 2019. I've had mine now since July 10. Spent the first 500 miles driving it a little more gently until broken in a bit, then have been getting my foot more into it lately. I'm around 1,500 miles now, mostly commute with some weekend play. Car is very quick, steps off the line a little faster than my Allroad which had a bit more turbo lag...cruises very nicely, GT style - firm but not jarring...took me a bit of time playing around with the driver settings to arrive at my custom mix - mostly everything is set to 'sport' except the dampers, which are set about 1/2 way between the normal and the sport setting...on 19 inch rims that lets the car ride comfortably but still be sharp and quick without roll in aggressive turns.

Love the tech so far - seat cooling/ventilation very effective in our ridiculous Florida heat, where our temps have been around 94 degrees and humidity around 85% for months now - heat indexes have been consistently over 110 and it's rained pretty much every day since I got the car. Had to drive home in one of the most torrential rainstorms I've encountered (and I've encountered many here in Florida) last week - visibility was not much more than 10 feet past the end of the hood, rain fall was 4.5 inches in 30 minutes...highway was completely covered in 2-4 inches of standing water - max speed was no more than 30MPH, with AWD and traction control kicking in regularly, yet most traffic was pulled over or going even slower - visibility was the biggest factor in not going any faster as traction remained pretty solid - any slippage where traction control stepped in was predictable and brief with the AWD system keeping up well. It was so heavy, all of the automated driver assist systems kicked off with warnings that they were being disabled for inability to see. Only thing I missed a bit on the Allroad was when getting off the freeway and hitting side roads - the Arteon has a bit less ground clearance so I couldn't blitz through the deeper standing water quite as quickly...but the underbody on the Arteon seems well sealed and covered to route most water away from the delicate bits - so it seems to handle running through standing water pretty well.

Touch screen and computer/radio/controls in general are much more responsive than on my Allroad - typically there was a delay of a second or two when accessing some parts of the control system, and trying to cycle through SD card contents a minute or two after starting the car was impossible on the Allroad as it had to 'build' the menu of songs for a few minutes...the Arteon is instant reaction on every touch, and all functions seem to be ready to go immediately upon starting the car. Love all the programmability - it's taken me a while to get it all set up - seats, remote start preferences, driver settings, seat memory, lighting preferences, etc...but now that it's all set, everything works seamlessly. Seat massagers are very nice too - only used it a few times, but it's also customizable, with the lumbar 4-way switch you can move it around to just the right spot on your back. Dynaudio system is also very nice - I wasn't sure at first if it was quite as good as the Bang & Olufsen system in my Allroad, but once I played around with the sound profile and settings - namely turning the subwoofer down and bass down and treble up, it's now clean, can go really loud, without ever getting too boom-y...and the highs sound much crisper than the default settings.

I haven't used much of the automated safety systems - I keep side-alert turned on which is useful, automatic front emergency braking is kept on though hasn't been triggered yet, and the rear-cross-traffic alert is kept on in case. But I disabled lane assist, and haven't used the cruise control yet...and haven't used the park assist. I've just been parking parallel and backing in perpendicular so long on my own that it's second nature, so I can't imagine letting the computer take over...though I love the 360 degree camera system for backing into spots as you can perfectly center in the lane markers in a flash and see curbs clearly when paralleling in.

Cargo room is immense...I find it may actually be better than my Allroad. The wagon design was boxier and taller, so a tall or very square box might have an advantage, but for most real-world needs to fill the cargo space, the width and depth are actually greater on the Arteon, even without folding down the seats. Had 7 years worth of old office computer and electronics equipment to haul to Goodwill last week, and had no problem loading it all, only dropping 1 back seat section so my ladder could fit through (I was also working on replacing fluorescent lights in the office that day and needed the ladder). 7 document boxes, ladder, 4 monitors, 4 desktop computers, 4 monitors, 16 old T8 bulbs, 2 routers, a DVR and 10 old security cameras - didn't even have to remove the cargo cover to close the hatch.

Next month will be the first road trip - about 400 miles...that will be the chance to check the long-term comfort and cruising, and fuel economy. I already like the larger gas tank (17.4G) than my Allroad (13.9G) - even with incrementally less gas mileage (averaging about 25.4MPG on the Arteon so far vs 26.5 on the Allroad), I can go longer without a refill with the larger capacity tank.

Oh, and I still love the color - the Kurkuma yellow just makes me smile every time I walk out and see it. After just way too many black and silver cars in my life, it was time for something different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
And here I thought that I was the only one waiting -- sort of -- on a Consumer Reports review!
I bought mine anyways, at very end of July, and have been super happy with it after almost 2,000 miles, including lots of looooong solo road trips, lots of hellish city traffic jams (DC, but especially NYC), and a weekend family trip.
Despite what lots of on-line reviews say, I think the sweetspot trim is the SEL Premium, but without the R-Line appearance package. The SEL omits a few features that I really like, and the SE leaves out even more. The SEL Premium does add in some features that I don't care about at all, but w/o the R-Line package you can get one for around $40k. So about the same as the top-trim 2020 Subaru Legacy that was my original plan to replace my 2015 Legacy, before I decided I really wanted back the old rear seat center pass-through feature, and about the same as the Buick Regal GS (which other than the A7 is really the only comparable vehicle, or the A5 if you can live with a much more cramped back seat).
Maybe I'll write up a Consumer Reports-style review if I have a moment...based on their initial impressions post, plus the more recent video, I think they're kind of selling it short.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great replies. I finally found what I was looking for (FWD SEL chili red metallic) and it's now on its way to my local dealer. Like @zackiedawg, my dealer agreed to pay half the shipping cost so that brought my share down to $350. In total, mine was about $5000 off MSRP.

I am considering having the chip sealer layer put on the front end, mirrors, and door handles. My SO has them on her car and her front end looks very good for a 12 year old car. Did anyone else get the chip sealer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, my Arteon arrived and I've taken possession of it. Pretty sweet ride. 😀 I opted for the front/mirror/window/door handle mask to help protect it from chipping. Overall, very happy with it for the very few miles I've put on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts