Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

Gathering bits/info prior to swap to 034 M'sports' kit on my '04 AWM (50k miles). Apart from the smell there are no obvious issues--no leaks, abnormal operation, etc.--and an SJP on order just in case. Also have a new dipstick tube, etc., for anticipated erosion.

Poking around I saw two "hoses to nowhere" under intake. The one closer to top in the image appears to be a cap on a coolant line T. The lower one in front of the oil filter appears to work up to the brake booster, but until disassembly starts I can't get a hand on it to see if it is also a plug, nor can I see or camera any fitting that looks like it's missing a hose. I've studied the manual and the hood diagram but I can't figure out what this hose is for nor where it goes. Any input appreciated. --IW
IMG_2022.JPG

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
The coolant one is like that on all 1.8Ts. No worries there.

The other one has something to do with the auto trans, but since you have a manual, it is not used. It would connect to the vacuum pump that would be next to the Power steering pump on an auto. The other end connects to a t with the suction jet pump and the brake booster at the firewall. Is it plugged?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very VAG. Another piece of spaghetti I might be able to shorten, then secure somewhere so it's not just flopping about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The coolant one is like that on all 1.8Ts. No worries there.

The other one has something to do with the auto trans, but since you have a manual, it is not used. It would connect to the vacuum pump that would be next to the Power steering pump on an auto. The other end connects to a t with the suction jet pump and the brake booster at the firewall. Is it plugged?

Sorry VAG, your pictures and question showed up after I'd already hit reply. I'm confident the hose shown is the one I found "unattached". Until I have it apart I can only say I think it's plugged behind the elbow on the end...can stick a zip-tie or wire in an inch or so but that's it. I'll let you know post-op what I find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts