Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure it's my SAIP hose. And not only is it falling off, but it threw off my serpentine belt so it's a whole rib moved over on the top but normal all the way around? I know that Jose is very VIN specific so I have no idea how to replace it or find which hose it is. 2002 V6 ATQ. Should that hose make my serpentine belt move? I'm going to tape it back on for now and hope it holds until I get it repaired. is it easy to do it myself or should I have the dealer do it? It's going there today be sue the serpentine belt is under warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I am replacing the one part, should I just do the whole PCV system? They haven't been replaced and I'm at 89,400 miles.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm also getting pretty bad MPG. I do have quite a led foot, but when I got the car I was averaging 17-20mpg on setting 2 on the trip computer. Now it's 14-16mpg. Could this be caused from clogged PCV? I still never replaced the coolant temp sensor but when my step dad fixes my PCV I'll have him do that as well. I don't know if it's bad, but the dealer told me it should be replaced. On the parkway if in going 75-80 in getting 20-22.5mpg and in the city forget it. Like 10-14mpg. I barely get 200 miles out of one tank.

So all in all my car has pretty much had a total overhaul from day one.

Alternator
Timing belt
Fan clutch and pulley
Serpentine belt
Both flex pipes
Fuel filter change
Air filter change
Cabin air filter change
Coolant flush and getting another one
Spark plugs 10k miles ago
Most vacuum lines replaced. A few I can't get to though.

So I don't understand how after doing all of that my MPG is just dropping. I always fill it with premium 92/93 octane depending on where I go. I've added techron a couple times over these past 10 thousand miles. Could that have clogged my fuel filter? Any other suggestions to try and get my MPG back up besides replacing all the PCV hoses? I also noticed that my mpg stays stuck at 3.6mpg for 30-60 seconds when I first drive my car.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Perhaps it's time for the O2 Sensors? Are your brakes dragging? inspect the parking brake system also.

last thought, when do the gas stations in your area switch to Winter formulation? this and the colder weather will reduce your fuel economy.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perhaps it's time for the O2 Sensors? Are your brakes dragging? inspect the parking brake system also.

last thought, when do the gas stations in your area switch to Winter formulation? this and the colder weather will reduce your fuel economy.
I had one replaced in May and I'm not getting any lean or rich codes or oxygen sensor codes. I had my brakes done 3 or so weeks ago and my fronts were fine so they were all I spected not long ago.

It was 70 yesterda. Parking brake works well. I use it when I park on a slant. It tells me if I forgot to turn it off

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would it be worth while to replace the spark plugs? I don't know what the PO used in it but he had them done at 80,000 miles he says. I just shot an email to the place that did them asking if they knew the mileage they were done at and what kind was used. I don't know what kind to get myself if I want to do them again. I've looked all over the forum and have been reading so among mixed things. Would someone be able to give me a definite answer on what is best to use please?

So when my step dad and I work on my car my goals are as follows

Change CTS
Check/change Spark Plugs if incorrect or bad I think I read the gap was 0.35-0.43 for my engine. Correct?
Change PCV hoses
Change SAIP hose
Change misc. Vacuum lines not change the last time I did it.

Hopefully these things will increase my gas mileage. I drove 130 miles and had a line or two under 1/2 a tank and average at 17 mpg for memory bank 2. Average speed was 22mph. My speedometer is quite off. At 75mph it is actually only going 72 maybe 73 mph. Is there a way to repair that?

The car fax from 2011 when it had 61,000 miles was amazing. Pretty much all dealer serviced. This idiot ruined the car and I was the one that had to fix it after his mistakes and it's still not right. It did say he had both valve gaskets replaced in 2011 though. So I'm thinking the PCV is clogged and it was never changed. He only put maybe 15-20 thousand miles on the car in the 4-5 years he owned it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
There is a good write up on the PVC system. I just replaced mine with a kit from ECS Tuning. I have a 01 V6 Passat with 159K

My system was shot!! Hoses crumbling, valves clogged. After changing I noticed a big reduction in the oil leaking.

The person I bought it from didn't maintain this car so very well so I'm slowly bringing it back up to what it should be.

I don't remember what # my plugs were but the car had Champions in it and I changed them out to NGK and noticed a big difference. NGK are the ones everyone says to use. Including me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts