Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today my car, 2000 Passat GLS w/manual transmission starts making this horrible thumping, bouncing noise/vibration feeling in the front that you can feel in the steering wheel. I take it to my best friends house and put it up on his hydraulic lift to inspect the cv axles, boots look great but both cv axles do have a little play in them. Best friend is not sure the CV axles are so bad it's causing the horrible noise.

*We are both Jeep Cherokee people so we are trying to learn as much as we can about my Passat (aka Zippy) that I adopted a week and a half ago :)

Best friend drove it down the road and noticed the noise/vibration feeling, jacked it up to check the wheel bearings which he said the wheels do not have any play in them at all.

I do plan on taking it to a mechanic friend in the morning after I get my kids to school, but I was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone? I do have the clicking noise that is noticeable when I am backing out of my parking space where I live (which I am assuming is the CV axles?). Mostly when I am turning left it makes a popping, clicking noise and bounces.

The noise is bad at 35, 45 and 60 mph in between it lightens up some. It's annoying and unnerving more than anything.

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
Check the tires too. Your axles sound shot, but they usually do not make the car bounce. A bad tire can do that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out it was not the axles. It was broken motor mounts :( Getting the front one put on at a shop, drive it out to my best friends shop and when I get the money to do the others we'll put them on ourselves.

Going to cost me $200 just for the front one. If I did all three it would cost me $500 parts and labor.

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
You must be buying mounts made of Gold. The front snub mount costs about $10 and is a simple install on the V6. The other mounts cost less than $100 for both online and take less than 2 hours to install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bouncing at speed

I have a somewhat similar situation. At highway speeds, typically 65-80, I get a bouncing or vibration throught the steering wheel. It can be felt throughout the car. It is not always there. In fact, I feel it most when I'm going up hill, then it'll settle down and drive smoothly as the road levels out. While a good tire balance helps some, it doesn't eliminate the problem.

I've got 210k on the car (V6 4Mo auto wagon) and have done the front struts, but no other front end work. I've never had a shop inform me of ball joint or other front end work needing to be done (although that is what I suspect). Thoughts?

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
At 210K, I expect you have several problems with the front end. Take it to a good shop and have them check it out. Make sure the check the axles for play too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely possible, as I know my belly pan is not as secure as when it was new, and easy enough to check, but I doubt that would cause what I'm feeling. I'll check it anyway. Will also have the front end checked carefully and determine what I'm willing to do about this should they find issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.