Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through many of the posts here on horns and I am trying to determine why one works and the other doesn't. I have a 99 1.8T.

It sounds like the best way to access these based on the posts is to take the bumper cover off. I apoligize if this is a stupid question, but how do I do that? I have the lower grill off already and the belly pan is off. I was starting to take the grill with the emblem off and was beginning to get worried that I was going to break the plastic clips :Yikes: . Not sure if I am on the right track. Do I need to take the wheel wells off?

The lower grill off allows me to see the horns and I might be able to switch the wires to see if its the horn, but it spounds like it is better to just take the cover off.

I appreciate any suggestions
Randy

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Good work! :thumbup:

...sorry no-one replied to your questions sooner. Hmmm.

Yup, the TB instructions have all the bumper cover removal info, too. On the B5's, both horns are on the passenger's side, I think. On the B5.5's there is one horn on each side of the car.

Did replacing the horn fix the problem?

·
Banned
401 Posts
this might sound like the worst answer but believe or not it will work. find the horn and just hit it a couple of times with something and it will start to work. I had this problem a year ago with my old car so my friend just bangs it and it worked fine:crazy: Anybody has an explanation

1 - 4 of 4 Posts