Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I could learn the hard way that my horn only works when engine is on. I was stopped by, waiting for my wife, when a jerk was backing in reverse, aparently without looking to his mirror. When I saw the guy was on, i tried to make the horn sound. Geezz, I couldn't. My face tourned into terror. Tried to start the electrical system, and didn't.
The idiot keep on in reverse, and when i got to start the car, he stopped, and went on straight again to where he was coming from (he was backing from a parking lot, coming out to a lane).

Had no time to make it sound, and I think this feature should be available anytime, to avoid possible danger situations. What do you guys think?

Reactions: 2PassatsGuyCT

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
My 1991 Jetta was the same way.

I think its a trade off, you get to listen to the radio with the car turned off, but you can't use the horn. :wink:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
electricity...

Probably don't have the horn enabled while the car is off or in accessory mode so when you fall asleep on your horn it doesn't beep and wake you up!

As for when someone is backing into somewhere... I flick my brights lots of times... and if that doesn't work I get out of my car and next to the persons window.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
[rest of the story]When I was two years old, we were poor so my father (reluctantly) would let me play in in the passengers compartment of his late '50s VW Beetle. After significant complaints from neighbors of rampant horn blowing on Saturday morning :D , my father wrote VAG a letter requesting the horn only be active while the ignition key was turned on.[/rest of the story] :wink:

Friday :beer:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Having owned VW's from the mid 1970's through the 2003 model, I can tell you that this has been a VW "feature" for the last thirty years. And, yes, it's given me the same scares as luigidf received. :shock:

The other day I had occasion to use the horn while the car windows were open, for the first time. I was shocked at the volume of the horns - they pretty loud and had a sharp tone, none of that "bee fart" sounds I recall from earlier years.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I don't think it should work w/o the ignition on. If the horn switch ever fails or gets stuck, the thing would honk all night long, on the flatbed on the way to the dealer the next day, and for three days there till they looked at it :lol:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
B12Teuton said:
I don't think it should work w/o the ignition on. If the horn switch ever fails or gets stuck, the thing would honk all night long, on the flatbed on the way to the dealer the next day, and for three days there till they looked at it :lol:
But maybe they'd look at it sooner because it was annoying. :lol:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
try disconnecting the battery...

B12Teuton said:
Had that happen on a used car i bought... the idiots wired the alarm wrong and it would just keep going...

disconnect the battery and wow no more annoying horn

·
0 Posts
hey my engine does not seem work with the car off and i cant seem to get anywhere without starting the car first, any advice :lol:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
20vvillian said:
hey my engine does not seem work with the car off and i cant seem to get anywhere without starting the car first, any advice :lol:
yes are you suing your house keys? :crazy: :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yesterday I could learn the hard way that my horn only works when engine is on. I was stopped by, waiting for my wife, when a jerk was backing in reverse, aparently without looking to his mirror. When I saw the guy was on, i tried to make the horn sound. Geezz, I couldn't. My face tourned into terror. Tried to start the electrical system, and didn't.
The idiot keep on in reverse, and when i got to start the car, he stopped, and went on straight again to where he was coming from (he was backing from a parking lot, coming out to a lane).

Had no time to make it sound, and I think this feature should be available anytime, to avoid possible danger situations. What do you guys think?
You know this one hit home finding out the horn does not work without power. Now I know why my daughter screens for me. 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts