Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok

I have dedcided to change the direction of my install. I want Image Dyanmics horns under the dash coupled with Phoenix Gold/MOREL TI9M mid basses in the doors.

I have never dealt with horns so I want to know which ones will fit with the least amount of cutting/customization of the dash. I know I will have to fabricate grills and some way of supporting them to the underside of the dash but I want to cut as little materail as possible under the dash.

And one last thing are they sold by the pair on sound domain or other authorized retailers.

Pete

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
First things first, you should have to do NO cutting to install your horns. I know ID supplies grill material with their horns and I believe others do as well. To support them some simple backstraps froma HU or plumber's strap will work fine unless you plan on supporting something as heavy as the CD2s.

Horns are sold in pairs ans Sound Domain is THE ONLY authorized online retailer for ID.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul

That does help with one part of my problem. And by other authorized resellers I meant actual storefronts, there is one somewhat close to my house but I would rather not deal with them.

As to my other question which ones fit and sound the best in a passat?

Pete

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Any of them will fit, but I like the CD1Pro and CD2s. The CD2s are about $800 so most people go with the CD1Pros or the CD1es (about $400 and $200 respectively). If youuse the mini-horn version any of them will pop right in since they'll only be about 5 inches deep. As far as sound goes, the CD2 actually rolls off the very top end a bit but is more accurate through the midrange. The CD1Pro has a more extended top end but isn't quite as smooth in the midrange. I'm nitpicking here as these are *very* small differences, but they are there. For a dealer list call or email ID directly. My old shop is an ID dealer so if you let me know what set you want I can see about the pricing.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pual

I will let you know If I want to take you up on that offer of pricing assistance.

Pete

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one more question does ID make 16 ohm horn.

Pete

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
souplogic said:
why would you want a 16 ohm horn, if your looking for attenuating the signal you can put an "L-pad" in see http://ccs.exl.info/calc_cr.html for a little diagram and calculator, just a couple of resitors.
Because horns are so efficient they NEED to be attenuated. 16 ohms would be great but ID only makes 8 ohm horns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
quality_sound
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing