Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new hood latch will not make the hood close all the way it latches but will not completely shut, also the hood release lever in driver sides car is not working with further inspection the ball and cable is not attached but cannot find where to attach it to on the hood latch is there a picture out there? these 2 problems may be solved if I fix the cable? I tried realigning the hood latch to see if that would fix the problem and no luck, will try to do more realignment in the morning. I am thinking to take off the pole that attached to the hood latch and bring the whole Assembly further down?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
pics? Having trouble picturing the areas of concern. There is a connection towards the front on top of the driver fender where the two parts of the cable meet in a small plastic enclosure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the hood latch t shut but is not fully closed can easily lift it up with my hand, and now it is stuck and I can't open it.... I am so frustrated with this.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
The plastic clip slides into the circled notch and the ball hooks into the other circles notch on the small lever under the spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CntrlNJPassatGuy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plastic clip slides into the circled notch and the ball hooks into the other circles notch on the small lever under the spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you I attached it, but now hood will not open and it is still not properly closing all the way.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
You've got it bolted down, yes? You'll have to pop that latch with a long thin screwdriver to pop it. The pull string you have rigged up does not release it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it is not releasing it. I have it hooked up to the hole on the hook of the latch and where the plastic pull piece would be

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Ok, so does the release handle in the door jamb do anything now? Once that part is released on the latch, then the pull string releases the safety catch.

·
Registered
2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion
182 Posts
My brand new hood latch will not make the hood close all the way it latches but will not completely shut, also the hood release lever in driver sides car is not working with further inspection the ball and cable is not attached but cannot find where to attach it to on the hood latch is there a picture out there? these 2 problems may be solved if I fix the cable? I tried realigning the hood latch to see if that would fix the problem and no luck, will try to do more realignment in the morning. I am thinking to take off the pole that attached to the hood latch and bring the whole Assembly further down?
IIRC the ball slides through a slot cut in the latch of the hood release. The 3-10mm that hold the latch onto the radiator frame need to be loose enough to reposition AND THEN tightened fully once seams, etc. line up. Who took off the old latch if not you?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took it off

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts