Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 W8.
Warning display (same one that warns of doors ajar, etc) is displaying the hood ajar warning (hood filled in in display).
I tested the hood switch, it's functioning fine.
After I drive for awhile, if I turn the radio off/on, and then hit the trip computer selection switch, it goes away.

Is there a code to reset the darn thing? I've got a Vag-Com, but can't find anything obvious.
Has anyone else seen this? VW says it's my switch, but after testing, it, I'm about 99% sure it's not. They'll obviously diagnose under warranty, but I'd rather just fix it than go through the hassle.

Thanks,

-pete

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pete,

How much did you pay for that W8? :wink: Just have them fix it. (Allthough,... that's a neat feature - I'm not sure if my GLS-V6 has such a warning).

John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know, but it's nearly more hassle than it's worth. :D
Gotta' take it over the night before for night-drop, then try to find a ride back to pick it up, etc. If I can fix it in .5 hour, it's well worth it!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
pgrey said:
Yeah, I know, but it's nearly more hassle than it's worth. :D
Gotta' take it over the night before for night-drop, then try to find a ride back to pick it up, etc. If I can fix it in .5 hour, it's well worth it!
u say that now becuase it doesn't work, but if the hood was ajar and you didn't know it and flew up and caused an accident you would be singing a diffrent tune. I like warnings for people who wouldn't normally notice anything wrong. It is good to know that any normal person who drives has a much less chance of destoying their car or cars around them because of neglect. Although some people do ignor flashing warnings, it gives them a fair chance to get the problem fixed

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Really. Take it in now.

The switch may be fine. However, the latch may not be. Or the bolts that hold the latch to the chassis. We singlehandedly instigated a recall of nearly every 95-97 Golf and Jetta in the US when our latch bolts failed and the hood flew up. Be thankful you have a warning ahead of time. It is a very frightening experience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I didn't meant to mislead anyone here.
The switch is fine (I tested it), as is the latch.
I agree, having the warning mechanism is a great feature!!! In this case, the warning system itself is malfunctioning, and the malfunction isn't in the switch or the latch.
I presume it's farther down the line, like shorting where the switch plugs into a harness or similar.
I was just hoping someone would know where this is, or had seen the same problem, and might have an idea.

-pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out one of the connections on my radio had come loose, and was affecting the display.
Beats me too, but the tech swore up and down that this was the case.

-pete

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pete,

I have had my radio looked at several times. Replaced twice. Everytime the alarm beep is disabled. It turns out to be the connection on the back of the radio. Last month my radio was replaced again and sure enough the alarm arming beep was disabled. This time using keys fashioned out of an old credit card I pulled my own radio. Reconnected the radio conection and... IT WORKS. The alarm system is integrated with the stock radio. Its been speculated on this board that a microswitch is not being fully engaged when the radio connection is not seated properly. So your radio can work just fine, but the alarm system doesn't know its there, it will not use the alarm confirmation beep that all is well.

I am glad you found the time to make the dealer work on your problem because you did pay a lot for that thing :) .

BTW, I still don't know if my hood has a warning idiot light.

John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess that makes sense, my alarm beep was disabled while this was going on too. Seems like a pretty fragile system to me thou'.

You can test to see if you have a hood "idiot light" fairly easily. Just pop your hood release, and check out the warning display. It's really obvious if you have it, the entire hood will be illuminated.
The other, less obvious way, is to check the latch itself. There's a wire that leads into the latch, and connects to a small switch inside the latch. The wire and boot connection is very visible on the latch surface, but you need a flashlight to see the switch inside the latch iteself.

-pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts