Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. This might have already been answered in several different posts but I couldn't find one that answered all my questions so please bare with me. I've had my 93 E36 318i for a few years now and she is showing signs of age. I am looking for a worthy replacement for my baby and have been looking at the B5 (both the 1.8t and 2.8 ). I'm starting to like the B5 more and more but, after looking at several reviews and forums, it seems like the B5 requires a bit more maintenance than the E36 (I have 105k on the car and have only had to replace the alternator and shocks). Not sure how true it is but, I have read that most B5s will require a new timing belt and tensioner, coil packs, water pump, and 3 full sets of rotors well before they reach 100k, and most stealerships are not very helpfull.

I am looking to purchase a 1.8t or 2.8 B5 (the 4motion and W8 are sweet rides but out of my budget :( ) with between 40 - 80k miles. My first question is, what repairs have you guys done to your B5 by the time they reach this milage? And what repairs would you expect to do in the next 50k miles? Please specify which variant of the B5 you have (motor, year and trans.) and approximately when you performed the repairs.

My second question, is there a difference in terms of reliability between the 1.8t and 2.8 (in stock form)? And are there certain model years that I should stay away from?

Lastly, if you were to spend the same amount of money in performance parts (say about $5000), which variant will be more likely to overall benefit (in terms of speed and handling)?

I appreciate your valuable input in advance and look forward to your advice and opinions.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
1999 1.8T Tiptronic with 82,000 miles.

Timing belt - changed before it broke at 65,000 miles.
Rear brake rotors @ 70,000 miles
Front brake rotors @ 82,000 miles
Will be replacing shocks and springs in next few months - shocks required, springs for better performance.

I expect to change the timing belt again within the next 30-40 miles. Other than that not sure what else will need replacement.

I love this car and only entertained the thought of selling it so that I could buy a Variant instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input 00Psst :thumbup: . Did you get the car new or used? You mentioned you would buy another B5 if you ever sold yours, would it be MT or AT?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think people tend to vent more when there are problems, but I, along with many others, have had nearly FLAWLESS satasfaction with the little maintenance our cars require. I have over 92,000 miles on my 1.8t and have replaced a few of the suspension components on the passenger side (I have modified my suspension and run it VERY hard). Other than that, nothing that is not "routine," to include my timing belt at 80,000. Regular oil changes, fluid changes, etc.

If I were buying what you are considering, I would definitely prefer a 1.8t, but not knowing what was modified and how it was done might worry me. It seems the V-6's are more often left stock, which would make me feel more secure in a used car. maybe you can find one that is owned by a 45 year old that doesnt mod much...

And, yes, if I totalled my car tomorrow, I would buy another. My only regret is not having all wheel drive, so I may also consider an A4 (unless they start offering the 1.8t on the 4-mo!).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with j on the fact that many of the negative reviews/post you run across in here and on other sites come from people who are upset and need to blow off steam.
I personally just purchased a used 2000 V6 5 spd about a month ago. I fell in love with the Passats the first time I test drove one about 2 months ago, shopped around for the right car at the right price. So far I LOVE it. Driving back and forth to work has never been so much fun.
My car is bone stock, no mods period. 52K miles. I love the way it handles, it has excellent acceleration, mine has the winter package and I'm loving the heated leather seats. Moonson stereo is awesome also.
First VW I've ever owned, it may require a few more repairs than a Japenese vehicle would over the years, but I'm pretty sure it won't require as many as an American made vehicle would.
You can get yourself a Bently manual, do any repairs yourself, the $$$ of repairs comes from the labor, not the parts most of the time. :wink:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
1.8t manual wagon here, 2000MY, 55K miles.

Rear brakes once, front brakes are fine so far. Brake life is more an indicator of driving style than anything else.
Clutch is fine, but I will probably be pulling it at 70K anyway as I have tranny mods lined up.
Timing belt will be done soon, pre-emptive.

Driven not-to-hard most of the time, gets beat on occasionally. Chipped with modified suspension and bigger wheels.

Drives like a dream, hoping I don't have to trade it for a long time. :heart:

·
0 Posts
1.8t manual sedan now at 100k. When i first purchased it, i new i would be fiddling in th engine quite a bit. So i changed the timing belt, a/c, waterpump, and tensioner pulley had some engine bits polished, valves seals and pistions all brand new!

Rear rotors once, all mintex pad- second time around, I'm chipped and dropped. Stage 2 clutch and lightend flywheel. Daily driver, driven hard never let me down!

Go for it, amd get that stick and mod it until your broke! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I value your opinion 'coz it's hard to find honest ones nowadays :thumbup: Blue A, any particular reason why you went with the V6 instead of the 1.8T? And everybody with a 1.8T, any reason why you went with the the 1.8T instead of the V6? I am looking for a reliable daily driver with the potenial for minor mods, kinda leaning more towards the V6 stick. Maybe I'm a little biased becuase of two bad experiences when I test drove the A4 1.8 (one was a 98 and had a slugish turbo at only 48k) but from what you guys are saying, maybe the Passats are different.

I'm looking to get the car in about 3 months and would appreciate as much info as I can get. Thanks again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We have two 00 B5's with 1.8t's, we've both been fairly irritated by some cold running issues, and strange CEL's, but now that we're working out the bugs they really haven't been that bad. If I get another one I'll probably go V6 since the Turbo doesn't really do much for me, but other then that I've enjoyed having mine. we both have less then 50k currently.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I went with the V6 because I love the smoothness of the ride.
If your planning on doing engine mods(which I really don't) go with the 1.8T, the options are endless.
With a V6 your pretty limited with resources on how to squeeze some extra Horsepower.
I personally have a 2000 V6 5spd with all the goodies and I love it

E36toB5? said:
Thanks for the replies. I value your opinion 'coz it's hard to find honest ones nowadays :thumbup: Blue A, any particular reason why you went with the V6 instead of the 1.8T? And everybody with a 1.8T, any reason why you went with the the 1.8T instead of the V6? I am looking for a reliable daily driver with the potenial for minor mods, kinda leaning more towards the V6 stick. Maybe I'm a little biased becuase of two bad experiences when I test drove the A4 1.8 (one was a 98 and had a slugish turbo at only 48k) but from what you guys are saying, maybe the Passats are different.

I'm looking to get the car in about 3 months and would appreciate as much info as I can get. Thanks again.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
v6's are generally smoother than the i4, but a chipped i4 performs similar to a stock v6.

to be honest, i bought my Passat00 because i couldn't afford a 3 series at this time, and insurance would go through the roof if i did. i've had it just a few months now, and i'm fairly impressed with it. very good bang for the buck. if it lasts well with little problems, i'll definately consider a Passat as my next car.

now, back to your issue, if you plan to spend $5k, then you should be able to do quite a bit of performance modding. the car handles well stock, and with a few mods, the handling and ride would be top notch. it will be costly if you want to add lots of HP, but personally, i'd be happy with just getting it chipped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
D.Passat00 do you have a 1.8t or V6? I feel ya with the 3 series, I'd really like to get an E46 to replace my E36 but can't afford it. Having experienced German Engineering, I have been very satisfied. It seems more logical to get a VW rather than a Honda or Toyota, not that Japanese cars are bad, but I just like the refinement of these damn German cars :D Performance and comfort wise, I've heard than the V6 Passat seems on par with most 3 & 5 Series and A6 for a lot less $$. Anyone own or have experience with these cars compared to the B5?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a 99 with 1.8T and now have a 00 (72K) with the 6 and I like the 6 much better. Very reponsive and is smoother on the highway. I just feel a well maintained 6 will be better in the long run on any car than a 4. Mine handles really well and is all stock. I bought my 00 7 months ago and had it thoroughly checked out and it's seems to have been well maintained. Plus, I agree with Blue A, the heated leather seats are great. Finally, I switched to Mobil 1 and immediately noticed better gas mileage and the oil is cleaner when I change it every 5K

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
If you get a 1.8T, please change the oil every 3000 miles with a good synthetic like Mobil 1. I had a 2001 GLX V6 5 speed and loved it. I traded it with 60K for my W8 6 speed.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
E36toB5? said:
D.Passat00 do you have a 1.8t or V6? I feel ya with the 3 series, I'd really like to get an E46 to replace my E36 but can't afford it. Having experienced German Engineering, I have been very satisfied. It seems more logical to get a VW rather than a Honda or Toyota, not that Japanese cars are bad, but I just like the refinement of these damn German cars :D Performance and comfort wise, I've heard than the V6 Passat seems on par with most 3 & 5 Series and A6 for a lot less $$. Anyone own or have experience with these cars compared to the B5?
i have the 1.8t. i actually like the sound of the turbo when driving aggressively. also, i believe that the v6 weighs a little more. the 1.8t gives a more sporty feeling, IMO. i definately agree that German engineering is worth it. My old car was a Solara, and it pales in comparison to my Passat in terms of the "joy of driving". the A4's are based on the same B5 platform as the Passats.

·
Registered
666 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
If you get a 1.8T, please change the oil every 3000 miles with a good synthetic like Mobil 1. I had a 2001 GLX V6 5 speed and loved it. I traded it with 60K for my W8 6 speed.
Yeah, don't forget the OEM filter :thumbup:

I got my :b5: just days before I joined :bow: CB5, used with 31k(specs in the margin). She wasn't beaten up none when I got her from those stealership bastards. Now, with 47k(round trip to Florida) and only5 months later, all I've replaced is the ICM which cost me a little over $100. Frequent, expensive oil changes are a necessity for this car(DIY!$27 every 3-5k). I will be doing ECS tuning's ultimate timing belt replacement in the spring ($300). My rear brakes are going in another 5k(less than $50?). My control arms will be done in the spring too(if they last-anywhere from $100-400) when I get my H&R sports(>$200)...maybe a chip shortly thereafter....

I do love my B5, it's my first VW and the best car I've ever owned, but if I could do it again, I think I would try to get my exact sedan in '01. Although my first year model(11/97)makes me weary sometimes :nervous:, I'll just keep an eye on her, listen to her needs. My girl sees all the love I have for our car, now her next car is gonna be a turbo jetta--her dad disapproved of our not-Chevy purchase, much less not-American. Anyway, I figure my car will total me around $20k for 5 years at least- not including gas & insurance, but including a bunch of HOT MODS! :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
55 Posts
E36toB5? said:
Thanks for the replies. I value your opinion 'coz it's hard to find honest ones nowadays Blue A, any particular reason why you went with the V6 instead of the 1.8T? And everybody with a 1.8T, any reason why you went with the the 1.8T instead of the V6?
I went with the V6 just because I don't care for 4 cylinder cars (No offense to all who love their 1.8T's) I love the torque, the smoothness, and the pep that the V6 has. Combined with the 5 spd, this car has got all the get-up-and-go you could ever need. A real pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This forum rocks :thumbup: you guys have been really helpfull in giving real info on the B5. Is there a difference in the scheduled maintenance and repairs between the 1.8t and the v6 (e.g. timing chain, coil packs etc.)?

blaupassat, and everyone that drives their B5 on horrid winter weather, how is your ride holding up against salt/corrosion? I've heard that the corrosion warranty on the B5s is 12 year unlimited miles, is that for all model years or just the 04? Is it transferable to the second owner? I really hate how winter eats away at cars, I think rust is just like cancer. It would be a relief to know that I won't have to worry about rust eating away on my next car, especially one a beautiful as the :b5:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts