Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to incorporate my media room, den and bedroom systems when I move into the new house (it's existing construction, not new).

What I want to do is take both the two channel feed from my Denon receiver and the 6 channel outputs from my DVD-A/SACD unit and feed it to the 5.1 system in the den and the two channel Denon outputs to the system in the bedroom.

Should I run the RCA cables up the walls and through the attic? Is that the best way to go? House is one story, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Was thinking that if I went with RCA cables, that I'd buy the cable in bulk and put on my own connectors.

Your advice is welcome, so chime in!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
No optical support? that would be the cleanest (sound) and easiest way (one cable)... Most of my house connections go through the basement. Hole in the floor, inbetween the joists (depending on orentation), up through another hole....

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have digital outputs and inputs on my equipment, but the sound from the DVD-A/SACD is analog only via RCA due to anti-piracy legislation.

The back of my Denon and Yamaha receivers have 5.1 (Denon has 7.1) RCA inputs for SACD/DVD-A and other future formats.

We don't have basements in Houston, will have to go through the attic.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
O I C.... Probably ye ol' slab on grade eh?

Couldn't you connect the DVD via analog to one of the recievers (short run) and then optical out to the other reciever (long run)??

Long analog connections are just not that great....

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
upshot said:
O I C.... Probably ye ol' slab on grade eh?

Couldn't you connect the DVD via analog to one of the recievers (short run) and then optical out to the other reciever (long run)??

Long analog connections are just not that great....
Yeah, I thought of that, but the sound going into the other receiver won't be the higher resolution from DVD-A/SACD.

I think that I'm stuck running many cables!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
The long runs might be bad on typical RCA straight wire. I'd look into coax w/ RCA terminations. coax will work for both digital and analog signals. Someone might blow me out of the water on this, but I did it in my own house and it worked for a long run of RCA analog. Heck I bet your could use twisted pair - FWIW, that's what my Russound A-Bus system uses. In your situation though, a nice run of RG-6 should do the trick.

Don't forget some method of communicating back to your sources. Some IR relay setup might be necessary.

·
Registered
761 Posts
You can run analog audio throughout the house, but there are a few things to think about. Standard RG6 TV wire is the wire of choice for RF signal transmission,(cable TV, satellite) but is not the best wire for line level audio/video. Unless you use a high quality RG59 cable designed for this purpose, you will easily defeat the advantage of using the high resolution output of your DVD-A/SACD player. Running 6 high quality analog cables with good fittings on the end could be costly, not to mention the possiblility of introducing ground loops into the systems since the components are in different parts of the house.
There are some reasonably priced DVD-A/SACD players out there now. I would go for a separate unit before going to the expense of running those cables. And as psm0110 said, you would also need I/R control and that adds more cost.

As far as the two channel feed from the Denon, the analog audio wires may work fine. You could still have a ground loop issue, and I would not recommend standard RG 6 TV wire. There are other options for sending audio signal throughout the house. Yo could run a CAT 5 between the two rooms and use A/V sending equipment from Terk or Recoton. They send the audio signal and I/R control over CAT5 and work pretty good. (Not the wireless ones though, those are hit and miss with reliability). Another option is to get an FM transmitter from Hobbytron and take the Denon output to that. You set it to an unused FM frequency in your area and then any other radio in your house can tune into the Denon output on that FM station.

Good luck and happy listening!
Jim D

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thanks for the advice. I do have a separate DVD-A player for the secondary system, but have this vision of filling the house up with sound from one source.

I'm going to look into the CAT5 option. I'd rather run one cable w/o ground loop.

I've got my work cut out for me!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Honestly, I doubt the high-res is of any benefit when speaking of whole-house audio. In that application, you're talking about listening to the same source while migrating from room to room taking car of chores, etc. Not exactly critical listening. That's why I opted for the CAT-5 based A-Bus system, good enough for jamming to a centralized MP3 jukebox certainly. Makes the DVD-A player sound all that much better :wink:

I knew I'd get called out for the RG-6... I only use it for my sub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts