Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol, well all I can say is wow what a difference. I just finished replacing my stock monsoon tape deck :( with an eclipse cd3434. I was originally dead set on replacing the monsoon amp in phase three of the systems conversion however I am wondering if it is really worth the effort when the stock amp seems to be an ample source of clean unclipped sound now, and replacing stock drivers in doors may be the only thing needed. I went to bestbuy and bought a aftermarket to vw passat harness to use and it worked great, realy simplified things, I usually just splice the wires myself and I ahve no plans on putting the monsoon deck back in but it was worth $15 not to accidentally blow a $350 deck,lol. I ran teh high outs to the monsoon amp and it performs much better and cleaner, what a relief. bass is still abit muddy but I will soon be replacing those rear 'subs' with some 6.5's with a little more nuts on em,lol. pics to follow as I get hosting strait. The antenna adapterwas also neccessary and I ordered it from partsexress for about $10. I also ran three sets of balanced RCA's to the trunk and a remote turn on wire for future replacement of monsoon amp with a phoenix gold 4 ch solution and possibly add a stealth box or something similar for more low end, but after I replace the rear 6.5's I am thinking I coudl almost get away with just that as the whole system. well I guess its off to pry some door panels off and drill out some rivets...

hey thanks for the useful info quality_sound.

:p

update!

ok got pics hosted up for your viewing pleasure... :)
http://www.sweetscove.com/

been listening to new eclipse HU and all I can say is aww jyeah ....
thats what I am talking about, MUCH BETTER. anyway I am still in phase 2 of project which is to replace the rear 'subs' with these little monsters:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-832
:D - got one of these in drivers rear door as pics show....sound is much fuller and deeper however they arent real happy runin off monsoon amp right now due to ohm difference and x-over point being thrown off, so they are significantly lower in volume than stock speakers however phase 3 is to replace front mids/tweets(CDT CL61's) and monsoon amp with a Phoenix Gold XS4300(front full range/rear clipped @100hz no rear tweet) and then we shall see what the fruits of that labor produce, mah.
questions, comments,flames, component choices?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote of the day: "quality" (in quotations) over quantity... ask quality_sound for more details! :thumbup:

Regards,

anthrasilglx - Silverstone with Anthracite Leather
Alpine 9835
Alpine 7618 (installed back in car for honoring quality_sound's knowledge)
Alpine CHA-S634
Alpine V12 (4 channel)
-----current projects-----
Mids, Highs, and Coaxials still to come
Carputer and Navigation still to come

·
Registered
72 Posts
quality_audio, I know that you should listen to speakers before you purchase them. The only problem is that where I live, they are not too many stores around that carry high end mids and highs on display ready to be played out. For the previous 4 years I have used a pair of MB Quarts Premium 6.5 components. They sound bad ass but those I'm keeping in a different car. Prior that I have use the lower end MB Quart Series speakers. The problem is that I can not locate any dealers that have the new MB Quarts Premiums in stock. Due to the fact that I have never really listened to anything else, it's hard to make a decision. These are the components that I have narrowed it down to:

MB Quarts Premiums
Alpine Type X
Boston Acoustics Pro Series
JL Audio
and maybe Focals... Never heard of them, but it seems that a lot of vwdubers like them. I will be running the components off a 5 channel Alpine V12 amp, and an Alpine 7618 head unit and CHA S634 changer... It's been a month looking at components and no dealers here that I know has any of these in stock or on display. All the dealers here are saying a wait time of al least 6 to 8 weeks before I can see any of these speakers. Paying up front retail price also. Basically what do you recommend? Where can I get them the fastest with a fair price. I'm looking to spend about $500. I know it would be foolish to pay full price, and still wait 6-8 weeks for components. Please Help!

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
As far as I know the Alpines haven't started shipping yet. They wouldn't be a good match anyway. Alpine components are notoriously inefficient so power would be an issue.

The JLs are petty good (I haven't heard the ZRs yet but the XRs are very nice).
The Bostons are very similar to the Quarts but sound brighter because they roll off on the low end.
Not a fan of the Focals personally. They get too brash at high volumes IMO.
I would suggest you go with the Quart Premiums. You're using them now and any changes made have only improved the sound. I'd look on eBay, pick up 2 sets of Quart PSE-216s for about $200 per pair and pocket the extra $100.

Do the right thing.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
MB Quarts Premiums it is. Due to OnStar feature, I decided to keep the stock moonsoon setup as is. Install new components either in door or most likely custom kit setups. I plan on running the 7618 with changer control right in the center console. Reason being is limited on space and mostly because even with a "OnStar" compatible harness, I believe OnStar may be more of headaches than it's worth. Two systems basically. What do you think about the deck in armrest? This is getting more troublesome than I have expected. All this due to "OnStar", but what a great feature it is! Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
the oem is too big I believe to fit the armrest. It's one of those huge two deck size oem unit. What about moving the climatic controls... Will that affect the temp gauge located in front of the climate controls? Any other ideaS

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
AnthraSilGLX said:
the oem is too big I believe to fit the armrest. It's one of those huge two deck size oem unit. What about moving the climatic controls... Will that affect the temp gauge located in front of the climate controls? Any other ideaS

Oh, I didn't realize you had a DD OEM unit. You could relocate the climatronic since it's all wiring, no cables IIRC. That would be pretty slick.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.