Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cruised on up to ROD EAST VW here in San Antonio for a HUGE list of things to do...

-Buy A Bucket of G12 Coolant
-Grab A Touraeg Torchlight
-Borrow Their Wheel Lock Adapter (I just lost mine)
-Use their VAGCOM to Adapt My Throttle Body
-Grab my last "J" Coil Pack

Parts hooked me up with the coolant and torchlight ($35.00 and instant gratification) I Think I got it hooked up faster then the people that had the Group Buy!

I'm getting H&R Wheel spacers so I can't use the standard size bolts anymore, so with that, I JUST lost my key, and I would be damned if I had to buy a 35 dollar part JUST so I can take off my wheels one final time...
They let me borrow their master set, and I changed my bolts right in the parking lot, and I couldn't get any work done becuase every single person who walked by my car asked me 20 questions about it! :D

Another service tech ran my VIN and hooked me up with an appointment to change the coil pack, do the wheel liner mod and adapt the throttle body (I took it off to clean it 3 weeks ago, and I don't own a VAGCOM yet)

I even gave one of the Techs Jonboy's information because he wanted his tails tinted too! :bow:

Oh, lastly I stopped by a new import speed shop and they quoted me $150 bucks to install the NX Ntercooler mister system!

And for all those wondering, Yes a 10lbs Nitrous bottle fits in the spare tire well! (parallel to the bumper)

A good day!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like Rod East too. However, Ancira is much closer to my house. Believe it or not Ancira has gotten a bit better over the last two years. Glad to hear that Rod East did you right!

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Cool, glad you are happy.

We had a customer that just gave us a bad survey because our service drive WASN'T WIDE ENOUGH. Nevermind you can park cars 3 across in it.

Waiting room too small (seats 20, never seen more than 5 people in it at one time, with free soda and coffee), and it took almost half an hour to get their car through the shop for an oil change (including free wash and vacuum) are other good ones.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I bought my car from Rod East and the one time I had to take it in, the service was great. I actually posted about it when I got the car back. The guy that installed my APR DPP said that Rod East is the best one to go to in San Antonio. He works for Cavender Audi and his manager use to work for Rod East VW and said they were mod friendly. Supposedly a bunch of the guys in the service department are modded.

Spanky, whats the story on the NX Ntercooler mister. Is it a mister for the exterior of the intercooler or is it a water injection misters (i.e. misting into the actuall intake air to cool it). 150 for parts AND labor? And about the 10 lb. nitrous bottle. I take it that hold the water. Or are you thinking of getting nitrous?

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Sharky said:
Cool, glad you are happy.

We had a customer that just gave us a bad survey because our service drive WASN'T WIDE ENOUGH. Nevermind you can park cars 3 across in it.

Waiting room too small (seats 20, never seen more than 5 people in it at one time, with free soda and coffee), and it took almost half an hour to get their car through the shop for an oil change (including free wash and vacuum) are other good ones.
I gave a dealer a bad review cuz they didn't mow thier lawn and when my dog squatted to have a crap on it her bum got wet from the damp grass..

( j/k) I think sometimes we are to critical of the dealers and because we are paying we think it gives us the right to bitch and pick things apart. In reality I have found that since I started buying new cars every 2 years since I was 18 that if your treat the dealer like *you* would like to be treated it comes back to you big time.

Overall I have had way more good expriences ( including VW ) than bad ones.

So Sharky .. your safe if I show up at your door.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sharky- That driveway comment made me laugh out loud. I like Rod East's waiting room because they have high speed internet access so I can browse ClubB5 while I'm waiting for whatever!

Anthro- [Darthvader] Your lack of faith is disturbing...[/Darthvader]

Jess- Good point!

Micheal- Okay, you're a smart fellow so I'll tell it like it is. The Mister HALO connects to the FMIC like a sprinkler system. You press your button and nitrous, being the super cold element it is, chills the intercooler, thus drasticly bringing down intake temps blah blah, you can figure out the rest! :wink:

The best deal I've found is $400 bucks SHIPPED with the 10lb bottle. Keep in mind the "kit" usually comes with a 5lb bottle and is about $550 if you order it from NX.
Although $650 might seem like alot JUST to keep my engine happy, its worth it to me on these brutal Texas Summer days. Here are some pictures I dug up dude.

This is Edsel's old car. Although this whip isn't around our little community anymore, This was the first car that REALLY kicked my ass when I came here.

Although this is on an SRT-4, you can see exactly what goes on durring spray. Now mind you shooting it just sitting there LOOKS mean, it really helps when you're actually moving. When I get it installed I'm going back to get it dyno'ed this time WITH a fan. :p

-conrad

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I see. I've never heard of using nitrous to cool the intercooler. Now, I think the WRX STi (maybe its the EVO or maybe both) uses a water INJECTION system (water into the intake like I mentioned above). I'll just through this out there for further discussion - what would give the most bang for the buck:
1. Nitrous sprayed outside of the intercooler (what you are talking about) - upside is that you get really cold nitrous comming from the bottle, downside is you have to buy nitrous.
2. Water sprayed into the intake - upside its a lot cheaper than buying nitrous and perhaps the setup would be cheaper, downside it may not work as well as the nitrous cooling.
3. Nitrous into the intake - upside is this should definately give you the biggest gains, downside is it may only give you the biggest gains about 15 seconds before youre whole engine blows out the front of the car like that engine in the oil commercial with Dennis Leary (or just seriously shorten the life of the engine) plus it would be more expensive (computer controller and all)
4. Run a refrigerant line from youre a/c to a coil in the intake (before you laugh, its been done and ford had planned on trying it with the lighting. not sure if it made it to production though) - upside you get cooling with mostly existing pieces, downside you would be doing a one-off and have to figure it out plus you have the a/c compressor running robbing horsepower so the gains may be small if any.

Water injection seems like the cheapest/easiest but may not work as well. Definately let me/us know if you do one of these. It will be very interesting to see the results.

P.S. I'll bring my leaf blower next time if I have to. That ought to get some air going by that intercooler

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had an awsome dealer experience yesterday to. Had to go their to get an estimate from the body shop because an indie shop cracked a dirt guard under the car from jacking the car up on it. Figured I would have to come back for them to put the car up. Nope, because their wasn't a lift open in the body shop they took it over to service and used one of their lifts. They notices that my mil was on and checked the dtc's and got the codes, which I was going to do later this week. Turns out to be o2 sensor and secondary air pump. I'm thinking ahh poo, i'm a few hundred out of warrenty. The said sense I was so close they could say that the mil could have happened a few hundred back and that they would cover it. Now damb if that isn't good service than what is!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Spanky-

Here is some info I dug up on water injection. Seems to be cheaper. It takes a bit to read through it but I foudn it pretty interesting.

http://www.dawesdevices.com/water.html

http://darklightning.com/gi/wi.htm

here is a part from the first link

"What if my engine has an intercooler?: We do not suggest injecting water before the turbo in an intercooled application, as most of the water will condense out at the intercooler. However, our system works great as an auxillary sprayer to increase the efficiency of your intercooler. In this application, water (add ice if you wish) is sprayed on the exterior of the intercooler to carry away the heat. Simple, easy, and effective. Subaru WRX rally cars use the same type of sprayer on their intercooler (but I bet it cost more)."

You can also inject the water after the intercooler into the intake.

Does anybody know what typical intake temps with our cars.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
My lack of faith is only due to my personal experience. And I think most LA VW owners can agree since a couple of the dealerships were recently converted from Dodge dealerships. Particularly Woodland Hills. The only guy they have that knows anything there is the Argentinian guy George(I think is his name), but it is rare he ends up working on the cars, besides the service advisor is the worst I have come across. I can go on, but I have done so in a number of other posts you should look up. The LA car dealers are worse than those in other states.

I do love VW's and my car, but its the company that has failed to implement rules to deallerships in the states.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts