Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're getting our place ready to sell, so I'm clearing out the clutter and moving to a rental storage unit. On Sunday I managed to get a rather large Pottery Barn arm chair, ottoman and all related cushions into the back of the car in one load. I also managed to squeeze in various knick knacks and oddly shaped kid's stuff too.
While unloading at the storage space a guy commented that filming me unloading all that stuff would make one hell of a VW commercial. He was right I had one hell of a mountain of stuff stacked outside of the car and just kept pulling more out.

Thought I'd give a little praise for the practical aspect of the wagon.

· Registered
387 Posts
You guys are dawn right !!!

With my chipped Wagon, dropped and rolling on 19", It handles very well, it has a lot of room inside and with the hitch I can tow almost the same amount as a full size pick-up truck in his box....

Also, the fuel economy is great !

It's the best overall car I ever had !

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are dawn right !!!

With my chipped Wagon, dropped and rolling on 19", It handles very well, it has a lot of room inside and with the hitch I can tow almost the same amount as a full size pick-up truck in his box....

Also, the fuel economy is great !

It's the best overall car I ever had !
What kind of engine are you sporting? I have a 3.6 and have been looking for input from anyone with a chipped 3.6.

· Registered
65 Posts
All of which makes the discontinuation of imports of wagons in this country by almost everyone all the more perplexing. Since I've had my Variant, I've got 3 people to trade their suv's for wagons. seriously, whoever is smart enough to offer a reasonable wagon will see sales increase. I think an ad campaign is in order.

· Registered
387 Posts
What kind of engine are you sporting? I have a 3.6 and have been looking for input from anyone with a chipped 3.6.
I have a 2.0T manual 6 speeds. I just could not drive automatic or even DSG !

I do have a doubt about chipping an atmospherical engine....There's never much improvement unless you add few parts (exhaust, etc etc).

Otherwise I would have my Rabbit chipped as well !

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree about chipping the naturally aspirated engines compared to turbos. The power gains are small to modest at best, but tuning will shift the peak torque and hp to more usable RPM range.

Still, nothing like having a family and stuff hauler that's enjoyable to drive.

· Registered
387 Posts
with 58" bars, you don't knock your head everytime you come in/out the car ? According to Thule website, 47" is the size to use, and that's what I have and they fit perfect.

I understand that 58" can hold many bikes or a bigger cargo box....

· Registered
1,527 Posts
with 58" bars, you don't knock your head everytime you come in/out the car ? According to Thule website, 47" is the size to use, and that's what I have and they fit perfect.

I understand that 58" can hold many bikes or a bigger cargo box....
No, I don't hit my head.

48" bars is the minimum size Yakima recommends. The longer bars allow more flexibility in what I carry.

Summer: carry a box + 2 bikes for big trips
Winter: carry a box + 6 ski holder for big ski trips (boots, ski poles, etc... they take up a lot of space....then you can throw your luggage inside the car)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.