Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I took my car to the stealer as it is so infamously called because i have an oil leak that is causing the smell of burnt oil and i can see it towards the front passenger side of the engine. They told me there is a factory drilled hole in the head that is leaking and that they would fix it with JB Weld and charge me around $460. Then said it fixes 99.9% of these. Does anyone know what this "factory drilled hole" is? I cant see paying this kind of money for some JB Weld. Thanks

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,605 Posts
YOU NEED TO GIVE US MORE INFO, LIKE WHAT MOTOR?(we are here to help, not search your profile for the motor size)
ALSO A PIC OF WHERE IT IS LEAKING WILL DO WONDERS.
caps lock was on

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry about that. its a 99 1.8T. as far as a picture i will either have to find a good angle on a pic online already or take a pic, but you cannot really see it while the hood is opened due to all of the parts on the front passenger side of the motor blocking the view...but i will post something as soon as i can.. just had a minute before work to jump on to see if anyone had replied.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I have no idea what on earth they are talking about. I can't say I've ever heard of that one before. The most common cause of oil leaks is a leaking valve cover gasket, often "triggered" by a clogged PCV system.

Is your leak from the valve cover->head seal, or the head->block seal?

SirWired

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea what on earth they are talking about. I can't say I've ever heard of that one before. The most common cause of oil leaks is a leaking valve cover gasket, often "triggered" by a clogged PCV system.

Is your leak from the valve cover->head seal, or the head->block seal?

SirWired
im not sure. i have a day off on friday so we are going to try to tear it down and locate the leak. i will try to post some pics. if anyone has any suggestions keep em coming. thanks for the help so far i appreciate it.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
The heads are drilled for oil passages. Because they can't turn corners with a drill bit, and because they can't start a passage in a solid section of aluminum from thin air, the drill holes ALL start on the outside of the head.

VW (and other manufacturers) block off the outer holes in the head with what are essentially just like ball bearings.

Sometimes, they leak. Not often, but this was an issue on more than a few early AHA V6 cars on the back of the passenger side head.

You either live with it, pull the head and have a machine shop fix it, replace the head entirely, or try some JB Weld-like stunt. Your choice, but for all the trouble of everything other than living with it, the JB Weld idea isn't too bad except for being $200 too high. It could be a fun weekend project, really, and wouldn't cost much more than a JB kit and some badass parts cleaner if you wanted to try to fix it yourself before you spend real money to fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.