Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I've had this cat-back HKS Klasse exhaust for about a year. To start off ALL OF THE WELDS HAVE RUSTED THROUGH. I have one long hole in my ENTIRE exhaust piping from the cat all the way to the exhaust (and the whole neighborhood hears it). I've had to re-weld it with patches just about everywhere. I don't think any original metal is still on there.

Besides that...it sounded great when I bought it. Guess if they just made the connecting piping higher quality (rust proof for more than 2 months), I'd be happy.

Anyone work for HKS who can hook up new piping???

-sonny

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
sorry to hear man but i hate to say it but hks isn't the first name that comes to mind when i think of performance products for our cars. should've gone with a more reputable (quality) brand.

rather than reweld and find more problems down the road, best bet is to cut off the portion that has the worst areas and just replace with another piece of stainless steel piping and weld that together.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The HKS exhaust was FREE. ;) Thanks to this forum.

That's the only reason I acquired it. (I really like the sound too)

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
ah... can't blame ya then. when i was doing my research on exhausts while back, 2 systems people rarely had were the hks and greddy. i think adolicious is the only member who has the greddy on his b5.5...

does hks include a dp?

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I didn't even know there were people making welded seam exhausts. Free was the right price I guess.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
So...I've had this cat-back HKS Klasse exhaust for about a year. To start off ALL OF THE WELDS HAVE RUSTED THROUGH. I have one long hole in my ENTIRE exhaust piping from the cat all the way to the exhaust (and the whole neighborhood hears it). I've had to re-weld it with patches just about everywhere. I don't think any original metal is still on there.

Besides that...it sounded great when I bought it. Guess if they just made the connecting piping higher quality (rust proof for more than 2 months), I'd be happy.

Anyone work for HKS who can hook up new piping???

-sonny

Is the exhaust made out of aluminum? If it is...you live in NY, soooo salt on the roads + aluminum piping = rust. I'm not surprised actually, my alum exhaust has some rust around the welds too, and I live in FL...I think they all rust through overtime no matter what.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree about salt and such, but within a year the entire exhaust piping disappears is a little extreme.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Hit them up and see if they are willing to help out. Shooting them an email with picts only take a few minutes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
sorry to hear man but i hate to say it but hks isn't the first name that comes to mind when i think of performance products for our cars. should've gone with a more reputable (quality) brand.

rather than reweld and find more problems down the road, best bet is to cut off the portion that has the worst areas and just replace with another piece of stainless steel piping and weld that together.
HKS is a very reputable brand... Just because they are a Japanese company, doesn't mean they can't make quality products.. Their products are top notch! With that said, aluminized exhausts from any manufacturer will rust.. some sooner than others.. I had a GReddy exhaust with aluminized piping on my old CRX, and it took 3 years but eventually the welds started to rust.. I've had a BroSpeed exhaust on a 2.0 MkIII and it rusted within a year....

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
not reputable as in shoddy quality, but not repuatable as in it's the first brand u think of when it comes to performance products for german cars... they have no reputation in that regard. just like i don't see anyone buying aem intakes for our cars (aside from the originator of skull dusting).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is the exhaust made out of aluminum? If it is...you live in NY, soooo salt on the roads + aluminum piping = rust. I'm not surprised actually, my alum exhaust has some rust around the welds too, and I live in FL...I think they all rust through overtime no matter what.
Is rust not oxidized iron? I dont see why your aluminum piping should be "rusting." It might just be aluminum oxide which should actually help to protect the pipes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, technically these pipes are usually not made out of aluminum... They are usually mild steel with an "aluminized coating"....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts