Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Wow - impressive. Don't know if I've heard of anyone else hitting that mark here. Good to know that at 189k on my '00 V6 5 spd there's reason to expect a lot more than that.

Any secrets to pass along? Any major engine work yet?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The oil I used is Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic, so I definitely would recommend that. I changed my oil and filter anywhere between 15K to 30K miles. But for the past 6 years it leaks about a 1/2 quart per week. So, in effect, that is like constantly changing the oil at a very slow rate. I think that actually helped.

The engine and trans are the original ones, and I had no major issues with them. Over the past 12 years since I bought the car new, I had the following done:

Defintely buy a OBD code reader.

New timing belt, tensioner, and water pump at 200K miles. (Had it done at the VW dealer.) Have not replaced them since then. Debating whether to do this again soon. I will probably try doing it myself this time.

Did the spark plugs a couple times. Replaced the spark plug wires and coil packs only recently.

Flushed and changed the coolant a few years ago.

Replaced the alternator at about 200K.

Replaced the flex joints for the exhaust pipes a few times (local muffler shop).

Changed the transmission fluid and filter at about 300K.

New cam chain tensioners at about 250K miles. Also did new seals and gaskets then.

Changed the serpentine belt at about 250K.

New front struts, control arms and tie rod ends about 2 years ago. I went with the OEM Sachs struts and the Meyle control arm kit. (This was the only time I got seriously injured working on the car. Needed my lip stitched and a new front tooth.)

Replaced the front wheel bearings at about 250K using a kit from Harbor Freight.

Replaced the front axles at about 250K. The pinch bolt was a bitch to get out. But I developed a method for that (see dedicated thread).

Had to repair the heater core, where the heater hoses connect. ( See dedicated thread for a repair method I developed for that. )

Replaced the motor mounts and snub mount.

The A/C compressor went last year, so had to replace it.

Had the front seat heaters and the fuel pump replaced by the dealer under a VW recall, so did not cost me anything.

Replaced a few sensors over the years: O2 sensors, coolant temp sensor, crankshaft speed sensor (engine speed sensor). And something to do with the exhaust gas recirculation, but I forget right now what it was exactly. It was cheap and easy to do.

I bought an oil cap that is vented so that the crank case does not get over pressurized.

I installed a set of HID light bulbs that I bought on ebay for something like $50. It came with a ballast unit for each headlight, and the HID bulbs themselves. This is HIGHLY recommended. Get the OEM colored lights (NOT the blue tint) and definitely get the higher power ones. I first installed the low power ones and had to return them.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,404 Posts
Yes, and the replacements lasted 200K and are still going.

I changed my original TB and WP at 65K miles and I can tell ya the WP was already in a very bad shape although the belt was OK.

This strikes me with a big surprise that your TB and WP last so long and so many miles. That is certainly very unusual.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Wow! I'd be interested in seeing this vented oil cap. Glad the heater core is still holding up. I did a similar repair, but not as thorough. Unfortunately it didn't hold, so I'm getting a new heater core. The good news is, VW updated this part some time ago, and the pipes are now metal, not plastic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also use the rosella t6 in my 1.8t that I have had for a few months and just had the oil pickup cleaned on. Sludge was from the previous owner, caused the turbo to go bad as well (the turbine shaft was broken!) The car was free, so don't call me out for buying a german car with all of these issues haha

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nice !

I have a 2001.5 V6 GLX and I'm hoping to hit 400K as well. I have used Castrol synthetic 5W40 since I bought it brand new. I currently have 350K km or 217K miles so I have a well to go :)

·
Over 400K miles on my baby!
684 Posts
Congrats, you must be the second one (I think I was first with my 2000 1.8t) and first V6. !!!! Kudos man, I would still have mine had it not been killed by black ice and a series of locust fence posts..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts