Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of keeping my Passat for 100k+ miles and had the following questions:

- Do you have 80k+ on your Passat (specify engine)
- What problems specifically dealing with the engine/transmission have you had? or other major problems besides big recalls like the coilpacks.
- Have you followed the service suggestions that VW has made?

I found some articles regarding keeping audis past 200k without too many major problems by using some common sense and changing parts/fluids earlier then whats suggested by the mfg.

So my thought are if I decide to keep my Passat running well over 150k, what should I have done long before the service/warranty runs out.

Some of the items I've thought of:
- Timing belt w/tensioner
- water pump
- all belts
- tranny fluid
- rear diff fluid
- plugs/wires @ 30k intervals instead of 40k for the 30V
- 02 sensors
- Steering/Hydrolic fluid possibly pump
- front strut bearings

and of course anything else that might go wrong like a cracked CV boot.. to avoid costly repairs of the entire side of the suspension.

thanks guys/gals...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've got 82k on a 99 1.8T AEB engine; tiptronic. Just had water pump and throttle body replaced. No problems so far with internal engine or transmission. I'll just try to keep all the filters in good shape as well change the fluids when they're due as well as changing spark plugs & hoses. Preventative maintenence I guess. Catch problems before they catch you. Too many people just pour gas in and forget it. Not a problem if you really love your car!!

Jonathan

·
Registered
21 Posts
up to 125k miles on my late 98 1.8t, failed its MOT this year on a front control arm bush. Pasenger door lock went awol. Superb car I love it to bits :thumbup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a 2001 1.8t b5.5... I had had a tune up done, and one coil pack replaced... My car is misfiring again, so I am going to replace the rest... My car just turned 80,000miles...

·
Registered
602 Posts
2000 30V-Wett/K&N
Going in for my 110k on Friday. One oil gasket leak repaired under powertrain warranty. Seems to be going through oil again so I will have them check to make sure I am not leaking again. I plan on pushing some high miles on this motor unless it becomes totally unreliable.

·
Registered
802 Posts
90K on a 99 AEB engine, had the water pump and the timing belt tensioner replaced under warranty. rear cam seals were also replaced under warranty. synt. oil change every 5K and both 40K service.

knock on wood drives as good as I bought her. but a little looser on teh suspension I think.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
98 AEB with 95,000. The usual TLC stuff (changing fluids, filters routinely).

Problems:

Burning oil - fixed with valve cover gasket replacement.. easy DIY
Burning TONS of oil - need to replace turbo ( I do believe) and perhaps the cam tensioner seal. This fix is still in the works. I drop it off with VW now on Monday morning. The used turbo I bought should be in by then.I will keep you up today.

Love the wagon though. Just this little stuff. Granted the cost for the most recent fix will be near 1000.

But whats a 1000 when you dont have it? :shock:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 2000 GLS V6 manual. 95,000 miles. Only realy problem was the heater core developed a leak and it costs $1000 to replace (whole dash comes out, from steering wheel to firewall). I think I do need a new radiator fan now. It just started to make some noise. Other than that it's been a great car. It still is a great car. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 80,000 miles. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is that I want 4 wheel drive, more ponies, and sportier suspension. Otherwise I would drive it to 200,000.

Rob

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Here is some info and problems I have come across during my ownership

-1998 1.8T AEB
-100,109 miles as of this AM
-Has near 65k highway miles, so very little wear, unlike a city driven vehicle
-Head has been replaced 2 times, along with 2 TB repacements and tensioners
-1st time was due to faulty VW design
-2nd was due to improper installation of repair #1
-Both covered under the 100k miles powertrain warranty
-Coilpacks (Buru's) have not had any issues
-ICM is still on the clear with it being the original ICM (knock on wood)
-Oil cooler is now JUST starting to seep coolant from the seams and coolant lines on the cooler housing.
-Oil and plugs changed at normal intervals.
-Belts replaced all around back at 95k miles iirc.
-Replaced both 1st precat O2 sensor twice
-Replaced fuel filter twice

That stuff is the larger things, but more weekly/monthly maintenence was needed due little mishaps.

Hope this helps, and lemme know if you have ?'s about the above
Steve

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
98 1.8T
- 94,500 miles
- replaced T/B, and Tensioner
- I got the "crazy windows" problem
- replaced front pass. cv boot, and battery
** Love it to death, best car I've ever owned! Plan to keep her until out of school (3 years... God help me)**
Ryan

·
Registered
103 Posts
99 1.8T
Replaced brakes at 40,000 and 110,000 (needless to say, I didn't use VW parts)
Cruise control works sometimes.
Valve cover leak at 100,000
Oil change every 3000 mi (dino)
Tie Rod Ends replaced 80,000 under warranty.

Best car I've ever owned. Still runs like a champ.

Oh, I forgot, the Cat cracked at the flange at about 95,000. I've been driving it like that since.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
99 1.8T AEB
No real engine problems except:

2 days ago the ICM failed.

And twice I've had Cat's seperate from the Turbo Flange. I think it's possibly due to a worn out Snub. Cant tell by looking. SInce I have to change the Belt soon, will replace the snub mount then. Been driving with the Cat jury rigged inline to the turbo for now, cause I aint buying another till I know the problem for sure. (though I am in the market for one from anyone that has changed to a Hi-Flow one and has a stock one sitting around! PM me!)

It's all the crap bolted around the engine thats probmatic! Control arms, switches, window tracks, etc....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
'99 1.8T 5-spd
176500miles and proud :D :D
someone beat that! :poke:
Only problem, needed the ignition replaced which caused a short they found after 14hr.

I am not the most stringent on service and if I told all I would be kicked right off this forum. :oops:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I can't beat 176K yet.
'99 i.8t 5 speeed
120,000 miles as of this morning.
Nothing catastrophic has happened knocok knock. Never left me stranded.
Ignition switch burned up/had to replace, Oil changes, brake changes, APR chipped, DV changed, brakes flushed, new battery, K&N cleaned, bigger wheels/tires, tie rods swapped under recall, NO coil pack problems.

Still gets to triple digits real quick in 3rd gear (on the track of course) and can get 400 miles on a tank of gas. 8) Pretty nice car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
98 1.8T
AEB
GIAC chipped

103k miles

Replaced:
Timing Belt
2x Spark Plugs
Ignition Control Module (ICM)
K&N Air Filter

Was left stranded with the ICM failing before.

·
Registered
399 Posts
2000 1.8T Variant - just coming up on 110,000 (by Friday)

Worst repair has been two MAF failures, on at 52K, the second at 108K.
It looks like the first may be covered by VW's extension of the warranty.

Under warranty repears (or tweaks): The rubber bump stops on the rear liftgate were mis adjusted ind cracked - replaced N/C. A rear brake light burned out - replaced N/C. At 100K service they replaced a leaking water pump and looked into an oil leak they found at 95K. The oil leak was determined to be coming from the camshafts, so both were replaced (!) The downside was almost two weeks without the car - and no loaner.

Maintainence - Rear brakes at 46K, 90K; front brakes at 90K
Normal 5K, 10K and 40K services. I had the timing belt done at 99.98K.

The car was APR chipped back around the 40K mark, and about two years back I put on H&R sport springs and Bilstein shocks. I've also gone to 16" wheels with 205 width tyres.

I still love the car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
bfit01 said:
99 1.8T
Replaced brakes at 40,000 and 110,000 (needless to say, I didn't use VW parts)
Cruise control works sometimes.
Valve cover leak at 100,000
Oil change every 3000 mi (dino)
Tie Rod Ends replaced 80,000 under warranty.

Best car I've ever owned. Still runs like a champ.

Oh, I forgot, the Cat cracked at the flange at about 95,000. I've been driving it like that since.
Check the brake sensor, thats what usually goes when you are having a problem with the cruise control intermittently working...

·
Registered
100 Posts
103k 2000 v6

Major problems:

Left side cat gone at about 55K - replaced under 8/80k

Right side CV Boot and Tie Rod - $1000.00 @ 80k

Right 02 sensor and right side cat @ 81k - peeled for 1600.00 (roughly)

Change timing belt / water pump at 99k - 700.00

Believe it or not, I still love my car (got more road personality that any car that I've ever driven). Question is, would I recommend the passat to anyone else :suspicio:

·
Registered
424 Posts
rcaton1 said:
103k 2000 v6

Major problems:

Left side cat gone at about 55K - replaced under 8/80k

Right side CV Boot and Tie Rod - $1000.00 @ 80k

Right 02 sensor and right side cat @ 81k - peeled for 1600.00 (roughly)

Change timing belt / water pump at 99k - 700.00

Believe it or not, I still love my car (got more road personality that any car that I've ever driven). Question is, would I recommend the passat to anyone else :suspicio:
cat, o2 sensor are all related. What are you running in there for gas, Jack Daniels? No problems like that on mine...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
21 Participants
remendez
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing