Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've read enough here about similar issues to allow me to relax a bit, but I need some more info.

I have a 2003 Passat Wagon with, ahem, 30K miles. Low, I know. Still under warrantly, and I will be in for the 30K service soon.

I noticed a few nights ago, when it was -5º F, that when I had the heat on and the fan in the #2 position, a high-pitched whining sound was coming from somewhere near the passenger side dash vent(s). The whining seemed to begin only when I turned right, and only when the fan was on in the #2 position (switching up or down silenced the noise).

Any thoughts on what might be going on? I am particularly curious about the right turn issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the Climatronic system in my '02, but I've noticed the squalling sound you speak of, particularly at temps below 30 degrees.

I can turn the fan speed up or down and it usually will go away then. In my case, I think it is the bearings in the fan motor itself.

If that is your problem as well, perhaps the right turn puts just the right force so that the motors shaft causes a whine from the bearing's load being imbalanced.

My philosophy is just run it until the blower dies. No sense replacing it while it is working. (unless it starts squalling ALL the time--which might drive me nuts!!)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Storyboy said:
I noticed a few nights ago, when it was -5º F, that when I had the heat on and the fan in the #2 position, a high-pitched whining sound was coming from somewhere near the passenger side dash vent(s). The whining seemed to begin only when I turned right, and only when the fan was on in the #2 position (switching up or down silenced the noise).
Any thoughts on what might be going on? I am particularly curious about the right turn issue?
Is your pollen filter installed? If not, the noise could be a leaf or other debris that got into the system rubbing the fan blower wheel (would sound a bit like a siren).

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have experienced the same issue on and off over the past year. Seems to occur when its cold out and I make a sharp right or left turn. I had the dealer look at it a while back and they were not able to reproduce the issue, but they made note of it.

I just so happened to drop the car off last night for a few of the 40k maintenance items that I didn't want to mess with and asked them to look at it whistling issue again. Plus, the 4 year/50K bumper to bumper is up at the end of the month, so I wanted the car to get a thorough look over for any last minute items that can be covered. I got a call from the service department about an hour ago and they were able to isolate the issue. The fan in the blower box is the issue and they are replacing it under warranty. They even had one in stock, so I don't have to hassle with making a subsequent appointment to get it replaced.

If you are ready for the 30k service soon, it may be worth it to leave the car at the dealer overnight so it is cold for them the following morning like I did.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Yup, I have the exact same issue, only when I turn left.(2002 climatronic)
I'll probably have an indy give me a quote sometime. As its out of warranty, I don't plan on spending much on that issue, but I'm oyt of warranty and you're not.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Mine makes a "chirping" noise as well when cold and I am long out of warranty.. it's slightly annoying on a really cold morning but it goes away after 5-10 min of warmup so I guess I just don't get why people out of warranty want so badly to pay to have this fixed, when the air still blows out fine. Turn up your radio a bit and forget about it. My understading from previous threads on this issue is it's the blower motor. I guess the good news is it's a pretty straight forward replacement after you remove the glovebox, but the part is kinda expensive ($179 for manual controls/$232 for climatronic for replacement @ getcoolparts) Some people have reported success with spraying some silicone lube in there to get the squeeks to stop.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
VWTreads said:
Mine makes a "chirping" noise as well when cold and I am long out of warranty.. it's slightly annoying on a really cold morning but it goes away after 5-10 min of warmup so I guess I just don't get why people out of warranty want so badly to pay to have this fixed, when the air still blows out fine. Turn up your radio a bit and forget about it. My understading from previous threads on this issue is it's the blower motor. I guess the good news is it's a pretty straight forward replacement after you remove the glovebox, but the part is kinda expensive ($179 for manual controls/$232 for climatronic for replacement @ getcoolparts) Some people have reported success with spraying some silicone lube in there to get the squeeks to stop.
At -20F it gets really, really annoying (last for 20min and piercing sound), but I'm not paying more than $200 or so to fix it. So it sound like I probbly won't do it. But still, really annoying.

·
Registered
930 Posts
nm+ said:
At -20F it gets really, really annoying (last for 20min and piercing sound), but I'm not paying more than $200 or so to fix it. So it sound like I probbly won't do it. But still, really annoying.
Yeah like I said about the silicone spray, maybe someone will chime in about the best way to accomplish this as I am interested in trying it myself once I get some warmer weather here.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
VWTreads said:
Yeah like I said about the silicone spray, maybe someone will chime in about the best way to accomplish this as I am interested in trying it myself once I get some warmer weather here.
Yeah, i'd love to know that.
i hate the squeak and love money in my wallet.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not sure if I was right in doing this so if you do choose to do it, do so at your own risk. I cleaned my cabin filter....then while the filter was out, I located the main fan type thing that revolves and I sprayed the center dowel (metal shaft) with a lubricant. It worked, but maybe I took a chance for other problems. None yet , 3 months or more. Ask a tech,???? I didnt though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts