Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello so i have passat 97 1.8 adr (non turbo) and i cant pass emissions test...

IDLE:
CO%:0,8 (0.5 max)
CO2:13,5
HC:150 (100 max)
02:1,32

Fast idle/rpm
CO%:0,6 (0.3 max)
CO2:14,00
HC:80
Lambda:1,021

I have already changed catalytic convertor, Lambda sensor, engine coolant temp sensor, spark plugs, air filter, tried with 2 different used coil packs (same sparkplug wires), oils.
And still i cant pass emissions, so can anyone help me? there is few problems with the car i think might relate to this problem: car shaking on idle a bit (rpm dropping and rising by 50-100), when flooring gas pedal on idle i get weird hesitation like it takes around 1sec before rpms start to rise. And exhaust is leaking a bit after catalytic convertor

(And sorry for my bad english)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And if anyone knows what parts are needed for pcv because i only have breather tube from crankcase to smaller hose connected to intake pipe (i plugged intake pipes side and the crankcase breather is breathing to the atmosphere)

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
I would run a compression test as it's the cheapest thing to check. If that's good, I would look into injector cleaning. You have incomplete combustion. Since most of the mechanical and electrical items have can affect this have been changed, you have to look at compression and fuel supply.

·
Registered
391 Posts
That's about 225,000 miles. The high emissions number are very likely due to blowby around the worn piston rings.

You should do a compression check. If your numbers are less than 110 it indicates significant wear. Any cylinders less than 100 are seeing blowby.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry. I should have stated the pressures in bars for you, not psi.

Below 7.58 bars is cause for concern. Below 6.89 bars means there is blowby for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's about 225,000 miles. The high emissions number are very likely due to blowby around the worn piston rings.

You should do a compression check. If your numbers are less than 110 it indicates significant wear. Any cylinders less than 100 are seeing blowby.
okay ill do that

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suggest you get it scanned with VCDS or other VAG specific scanner.
And completely rebuild the entire PCV system.
I have vcds-lite and there is no fault codes if u meant that. And i have no idea what parts i need for PCV, i cant find diagram for 1.8 non turbo anywhere.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
VCDS-Lite is fine, and should read any codes.
You should be able to find the PCV system components & layout in Etka.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Looks like you might need to run a TBA.
The throttle body might need to be cleaned first.

You need the registered VCDS-Lite to run a TBA.
or you could try:
Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, and leave hood open.
After re-connecting the battery, switch the ignition on (DO NOT start), wait 1 minute while listening to the throttle body.
You should hear whirring and clicking sounds.
Then start the engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like you might need to run a TBA.
The throttle body might need to be cleaned first.

You need the registered VCDS-Lite to run a TBA.
or you could try:
Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, and leave hood open.
After re-connecting the battery, switch the ignition on (DO NOT start), wait 1 minute while listening to the throttle body.
You should hear whirring and clicking sounds.
Then start the engine.
I have cleaned the throttle body best i can without removing it from the intake, and i did that leave hood etc open and keep ignition on trick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How much should spark plug wire resistance be? I measured mine and they were around 1-1.5k ohms

1 - 20 of 24 Posts