Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, sometimes i'm doing a little raacing with my friends and the tip wont shift up once the revs get pretty high. I've actually red lined on mistake due to this, and it wont shuft until I take my foot off the gas. Is this normal?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
This might be a symptom of the shift magnet deteriorating. In order to save a few cents, VW uses a cheap plated magnet. This covering can come off over time - I examined mine while I was repairing the detent mechanism. The plating was starting to come off in the center. Not wanting to have it fail later on down the road, I brushed the loose plating off.

The car shifted fine before cleaning off the loose plating. Now it sometimes behaves just as yours is - it won't shift up at high revs under a load. Why in the heck the magnet would cause this, I don't know. Maybe it's something else and the magnet was coincidental. :???:

I don't think a higher rev limit is the answer. You want to be able to shift at about 5000 rpm so that the car hits close to the torque peak on the upshift.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Fuel cutoffs exist for a reason.

Anything below is fair game. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.