Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
ebay, or check the classifieds here, i do remember there being a guy selling HID's all the time for super cheap.

also, if you're interested, i have an APR tuned ECU that will fit your car ;) ( if it's a manual )

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Go with something in between 3.5k and 5k. I had 8k come in a kit and I could barely see the road because little light sources (person behind me, someone passing me on motorway) would absorb the light and I couldn't see my own beam. Replaced with some DDM bulbs (I already had aftermarket ballasts from a company called "Alpha") that are 5k, and I can see great. Make sure if you're running them in projector housings, to lower the beam so they don't go through peoples windshields... I just fixed an issue where about 100 people flashed their lights at me, talk about feeling like a jerk.

And as a side note, depending on where you live, DDM's direct import shipping from China can take up to 2 to 3 weeks (I live in NC, it took 2 weeks.) Ships China Post Airmail, then USPS when it hits CA. But go DDM, very very cheap and I went with it cause everyone vouches for them a lot around here and the Vortex.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
And don't forget to put them only in projector housings. Putting HIDs in stock B5 reflectors will blind oncoming traffic and fail to put the light down the road where you need it to see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts