Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some more light output i have tried a few different bulbs, using the silver star ultras and in this winter season the output has been rather weak. I am going to wet sand and get the fog off my lenses but I was wondering how the glare is/lightout put with HID kit on a nonhid b5.5?

I would be looking at 4300k or 6000k.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
It's fine. You can't use HID's in the B5's non-projector housings, but it's cool in the B5.5

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
It doesn't have the best pattern and it still has a sharp cutoff, but it works. I actually prefer my non hid B5 at night on backroads to my b5.5 with HID.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
DEFINITELY read the link posted by GreenCar.

6000K has less 'usable' light per lumen as 4300K, so if being able to see well is your main concern, there's no real choice.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
...and a further tip on starting grit for headlight wet sanding.

400 grit is too aggressive (leaves gouges), so begin with 600 grit or higher. You may need to use more sheets, but you won't have as much work to do when the rubbing compound goes on.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
I saw this video posted in my local forum--looks like a great method, though I have yet to try it (which I will in the spring).

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
HIDs in non-HID housings = that a88hole who blinds everybody coming the other way.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
Good link! Here's another that shows the actual physical difference of the reflective housing to spread the light. The projector reflective "bowl" is bigger and designed to handle the brighter "arc" of the HID bulb. HID Projector vs. Halogen Projector differences?

I've had good luck with these Osram Rallye 64217 65w Ultra High Output H7 Special-Service Bulb in my low beams. I'm able to point the housing higher because it's not excessively bright, therefore, illuminating the road for me better. When I had the HID kit, I had to drastically lower the housing aim because anytime I put anything/anybody in the backseat, it would go into people's side view mirrors and you could see the cutoff right at people's eyes. It was bad. I got flashed over 20 times on the way back to school in the snow on a back road, to having someone slam on their brakes on me on I-40 (that was probably the worst road rage I've experienced) with the HID's installed. I haven't gotten flashed once with the current bulbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts