Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

HIDs for the new headlights

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  miniion26 
#1 ·
hello everybody, i just got these new projector head lights 1997-2000 VW PASSAT B5 R8 LED LOOP BLACK PROJECTOR HEAD LIGHTS LAMP | eBay with r8 style LED DRL's and i was thinking about some HID bulds. Now am i going to need to get a conversion kit for these headlights? also i'd like to know which color of buld to best match the leds that are on the headlights. thanks in advance

#8 ·
x284756 on DDM HIDs. There's even instructions on their website. Just select the HIDs and there should be a link on how to install. The write up is not vehicle specific, but the procedure is the same for every vehicle; ie, mount ballasts, cut holes in dust shield, run wires from ballasts through dust cap to the bulb, put bulbs in, connect plug, assemble, etc..

#12 ·
I'm looking at the Kensuns, just wondering, which size are you supposed to select? H1? I've also got some R8 lights for my B5.5 from ECStuning, the LEDs are great but the headlights are just the standard yellow, kinda looks funny. I'm definately looking to change that headlight bulb color to match the LEDs.

Also, there are 2 sets of bulbs in each light, the standard headlight bulb that lights up under normal use, and the hi-beam bulb that obviously only lights up during hi-beam use in it's own separate light socket. Although I don't really use the hi-beams that often, if I also wanted to color match these, would I need another kit?

#14 ·
HIDs are not really suitable for high beams. You can't flash them since they take a few seconds to fire up and produce full light. And turning them off and on and off and on again (as you do when you see an oncoming car in the distance) will really shorten their life.

Stick with halogens, and try to get a pair of Nokyas that are the same color temp as your HIDs. I personally put SilverStars in my highs; my DDM HID bulbs are 4500K. Not a perfect match, but it doesn't really bother me.

#16 ·
All HID bulbs are the same; it's the base that companies change so that they fit in projectors designed for halogen bulbs. If your headlights call for H7 bulbs, order HIDs with H7-shaped bases. If you have projectors designed for HIDs, you will need D2S or similar HIDs.

#18 ·
They very well may be H1. Your headlights were designed for H1 halogen bulbs. DDM et al. take HID capsules and put them in bases that match the shapes of halogen bulb bases (H1, H7, etc.) so people can put HID capsules in halogen headlight housings.

HID capsules in halogen projectors are not ideal, because the two bulbs produce light in different patterns, and the projectors are designed to focus the output of halogen bulbs, not a HID capsule. It's way better than putting HIDs in halogen reflector housings though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.