Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody, i just got these new projector head lights 1997-2000 VW PASSAT B5 R8 LED LOOP BLACK PROJECTOR HEAD LIGHTS LAMP | eBay with r8 style LED DRL's and i was thinking about some HID bulds. Now am i going to need to get a conversion kit for these headlights? also i'd like to know which color of buld to best match the leds that are on the headlights. thanks in advance

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would get a the h1 kit from ddm in 4500 or maybe 5000k depending on preference.

Also if I remember correctly to get the leds to work you do need to swap a pin around on the connector harness.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could you give me a link to a specific pair so i know exactly what i need. Also am i going to be installing something new into my headlights or is this just a plug and play deal???

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
And disable the DRLs, or you will fry they ballasts.

I would pigtail the LEDs into your parking lights.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
beautiful! thats just what im looking for, next check these are comin in for sure. did you have these professionally installed or could someone possibly supply a write up on how these things plug in?? thanks for the help

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,304 Posts
beautiful! thats just what im looking for, next check these are comin in for sure. did you have these professionally installed or could someone possibly supply a write up on how these things plug in?? thanks for the help
x284756 on DDM HIDs. There's even instructions on their website. Just select the HIDs and there should be a link on how to install. The write up is not vehicle specific, but the procedure is the same for every vehicle; ie, mount ballasts, cut holes in dust shield, run wires from ballasts through dust cap to the bulb, put bulbs in, connect plug, assemble, etc..

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a set of the r8 style headlights almost brand new.

They came on the car.

They are the higher quality jom headlights from ECS tuning. They are ~ 300 new.

I would sell em to you for $200.00 shipped.

*Do not come with HIDS however.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I installed them myself. It was probably the easiest thing you could do to your car, and it came with instructions too. It's plug and play so you just take the old bulbs out and put the new ones in (DO NOT TOUCH THE BULBS). The instructions tell you which wire to put where and which connections to make. The hardest part was finding a place to put the ballast but I'll post pics in the morning of where I put them.

The kensuns are awesome quality, just check the amazon website, 170+ reviews and 4 1/2* which means that they kick ass.
I got mine almost a year ago and they still work like new.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm looking at the Kensuns, just wondering, which size are you supposed to select? H1? I've also got some R8 lights for my B5.5 from ECStuning, the LEDs are great but the headlights are just the standard yellow, kinda looks funny. I'm definately looking to change that headlight bulb color to match the LEDs.

Also, there are 2 sets of bulbs in each light, the standard headlight bulb that lights up under normal use, and the hi-beam bulb that obviously only lights up during hi-beam use in it's own separate light socket. Although I don't really use the hi-beams that often, if I also wanted to color match these, would I need another kit?

·
4,159 Posts
HIDs are not really suitable for high beams. You can't flash them since they take a few seconds to fire up and produce full light. And turning them off and on and off and on again (as you do when you see an oncoming car in the distance) will really shorten their life.

Stick with halogens, and try to get a pair of Nokyas that are the same color temp as your HIDs. I personally put SilverStars in my highs; my DDM HID bulbs are 4500K. Not a perfect match, but it doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm looking at the Kensuns, just wondering, which size are you supposed to select? H1? I've also got some R8 lights for my B5.5 from ECStuning, the LEDs are great but the headlights are just the standard yellow, kinda looks funny. I'm definately looking to change that headlight bulb color to match the LEDs.

Also, there are 2 sets of bulbs in each light, the standard headlight bulb that lights up under normal use, and the hi-beam bulb that obviously only lights up during hi-beam use in it's own separate light socket. Although I don't really use the hi-beams that often, if I also wanted to color match these, would I need another kit?
I forget but I'm 99.9% its H1 since thats what most projectors use.

And x2 on not using HIDs as high beams. It doesn't really work that well as a high beam, just find some blue halogens and call it a day. Also having so many ballasts under the hood would look kinda weird

edit: no matter which set you choose make sure its the 35W. 55W might melt the projector according to some vendors on ebay. I wouldn't risk it, but the Kensuns are 35W so you don't have to worry about that

·
4,159 Posts
All HID bulbs are the same; it's the base that companies change so that they fit in projectors designed for halogen bulbs. If your headlights call for H7 bulbs, order HIDs with H7-shaped bases. If you have projectors designed for HIDs, you will need D2S or similar HIDs.

·
4,159 Posts
They very well may be H1. Your headlights were designed for H1 halogen bulbs. DDM et al. take HID capsules and put them in bases that match the shapes of halogen bulb bases (H1, H7, etc.) so people can put HID capsules in halogen headlight housings.

HID capsules in halogen projectors are not ideal, because the two bulbs produce light in different patterns, and the projectors are designed to focus the output of halogen bulbs, not a HID capsule. It's way better than putting HIDs in halogen reflector housings though.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Granted they may not be perfect match(hid bulb in halogen projector lens/housing) it sure is brighter, much clearer, and in my opinion does make the car look much classier.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a set of the r8 style headlights almost brand new.

They came on the car.

They are the higher quality jom headlights from ECS tuning. They are ~ 300 new.

I would sell em to you for $200.00 shipped.

*Do not come with HIDS however.
I did not mean to pry in, but are you still selling the headlights?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts