Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into buying a set of HIDs from a used Passat. It says it came from a '03 Passat w/ gas discharge. What exactly does that mean? Also, what year did Passats start using the tailights with the white in the center, becuase I have a black '99 Passat and I don't know if I should get new ones with the white, or keep my all red ones and get them tinted.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Gas discharge is another name for HID.
HID stands for high intensity discharge, and uses a metal halide gas to create the bright light vs. a standard filament and halogen gas.

The new style tail lights came on 2001.5 models. They won't fit directly onto you older model, as the shape is physically different...

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JimmyDee said:
Gas discharge is another name for HID.
HID stands for high intensity discharge, and uses a metal halide gas to create the bright light vs. a standard filament and halogen gas.

The new style tail lights came on 2001.5 models. They won't fit directly onto you older model, as the shape is physically different...

Thanks! Too bad about the tail lights, I guess I'll just tint mine. But will the HIDs fit?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Now that you mention it... no, I don't think they will fit.
Is it a full headlamp assembly? if it is, then it definitely won't fit.
If it's just the lamp assembly, then I doubt it will fit. the newer units use an H7 bulb, and I think your older one uses an H4 or an H1.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, but i'm gonna wait on the headlights. I like the instrument cluster on the newer B5's with the chrome. If I bought a used one would it work with a 5spd V6, and my odometer wouldn't change, correct? Also, I'm approaching 80k miles, what do you guys recommend that NEEDS to be done. I have the timing belt replaced at 65k, I need to do the fan belt too, since its cracked and I need to get a new motor for my wipers, other than that, what else should be done? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.