Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2004 Passat TDI and plan to install a set of Euro HID's ordered from Dirk/airwalk.

I am concerned about the ability of the existing wiring to handle electrical load based on comments made at the two sites below:

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/headlamp-harness.html

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

Those sites seem to say that the stock wiring for lighting in automobiles (they did not mention Passat B5.5 specifically) is inadequate for HID headlights. It basically says that if you don't replace the wiring harness AND add special relays... you can fry the switches, wiring etc.

I also gather from reading of numerous installations here on this forum that no one has actually put in a heavy duty harness or special relays. So what is the story?? Can the Passat handle it?? The W8 obviously does. Does the W8 actually have a heavier harness, switches, relays etc?? Or, is the stock Passat wiring on a non-W8 adequate for the job??

Has anyone had problems?? I just read about the problem of neglecting to pull the 173 relay. That seems to be a related problem as does the possible need for 20amp fuses instead of 10amp.

I really hope that it is a "plug n' play" kind of thing.

A related question.... in the B5.5, using the euro HID sets, is it actually possible to install the euro rheostat and manually adjust the vertical alignment of the headlights as is done on most stock european cars? Anecdotally I have heard some people say "yes," and some say "no." No because the leveling system is designed to be auto leveling and not manual, and because the motors are "stepper" motors.

Anyone know the factual facts (if there are such things as factual facts)?

Thanks

Al Jennings

Silverstone TDI, 2004.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Realistic speaking, there is no difference between the wiring they throw in for a HID or halogen equipped vehicle - normal sense states to us that a factory would not put different types of wires for that reason. Most of us here have installed OEM HID projectors as a "direct swap".

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
if you have the B and 56D pins taped to disable the DRL's is it neccesary to remove the 173 relay, or is that a must...?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The bi-xenons have no relays in or on the housing. Just upgrade a couple of fuses and pull the DRL relay out and step on it; it's trash. European Passats that are ordered with bi-xenons from the factory have the same wiring harnesses that you have in your car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
THE FACTS:

1) Your stock wiring will easily handle the Euro spec bi-xenons. They are made for the car. They are plug and play.

2) The HID D2S bulbs operate on 35 watts of power, compared to the 55W stock halogens.

3) HID's require a "kick start", which means they require instantaneous high voltage to start the "arc". This causes a slightly higher than mormal current drain, which is why some members choose to put in 20 amp fuses. I, and many others have been using the stock 15 amp fuses for quite a while with no problems.

4) Relay 173 needs to be removed (or pins taped) to ensure that the ballast gets proper voltage for operation.

5) Most people in the US do not mess with the manual rheostat for leveling. Once the lights are aimed properly, they work just fine.

6) Daniel Stern warns against HID conversion kits, but approves OEM bi-xenon refits. Although he is a halogen purist, even he admits that HID's are much more efficient.

7) Everybody freaks over the cost until you drive with the things...

Enjoy the lights!

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
once you go HID, you won't go back...

the HID's that are on the Evo were amazing... i've never seen anything light up the road the way she did...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.