Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my McCulloch HID 5000 kit and took the car for a spin to see how they looked. I noticed only a slight difference in brightness over my Halogen silverstars. I did see white light but not to the the extent I was expecting. Is this due to using stock projectors? aiming of my lights, or just poor quality HID bulbs?.

·
Registered
972 Posts
5000k should look pretty white compare to stock HID, probably it's the bulb's quality. lol I use 6000k cheap bulb and it's white and bright :lol: it's been almost a year now.

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,167 Posts
Yeah, I do find that projectors are dimmer than halogen type headlight assemblies. I had the Hella HID look-a-like headlights in my B5 with a 4700 HID kit installed in them and it wasn't bright at all! My Halogen type headlight assembly was much brighter than it so I ended up re-installing them back on the car!

Hella HID Look-a-Likes

Stock Halogen Headlights

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
you could think the it is brighter because the beam pattern is all over the place instead of properly aimed

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,167 Posts
PassatVariantPunk said:
Wait. So you got rid of HIDs altogether or did you keep HIDs and use different headlamp?
No, I still have the HID kit, I just installed them in my stock headlights now. I'm thinking of moving them down to my Vestatec Fog Lights when I get a chance on installing them on the car this spring. I then am going to install the FK Angel Eye headlights and put in a fake xenon bulb to get that white color!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
they might not be much brighter due to aiming. get them aimed properly and then make a judgement call.

and not that it'd make a huge difference but stock is about 4000-4300k. the higher you go, the more bluish the effect but the lesser the brightness.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
mrgreek2002 said:
No, I still have the HID kit, I just installed them in my stock headlights now. I'm thinking of moving them down to my Vestatec Fog Lights when I get a chance on installing them on the car this spring. I then am going to install the FK Angel Eye headlights and put in a fake xenon bulb to get that white color!
So you did the later of my question, kept HIDs and used a different projector.

Are you going for color or for light output? The whole fascination with HIDs is they are just that, High Intensity Discharge. A higher amount of light is discharged than say your standard halogen bulb. The notion that the halogens are "brighter" than HIDs, especially from a well-known kit such as the McCulloch brand, makes me wonder about your expectations and use of them. It seems that brighter to you means light being thrown all over the place: high, low, wide, anywhere even to include the road. With a properly adjusted HID set-up there is no question that light output and clarity would be better than a halogen bulb. The whole reason the HID technology exists in cars is to trump halogen lighting.

I think your idea of brightness is not the consensus.

Like my kiotos' high beams toss out a lot of light and they cast it every where, too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I took the car back out for a late night spin around 11pm on some streets with poor or no lighting and noticed a big difference, the road was well lit by the HID's. I also noticed (due to better lighting) that my passenger side housing was broken, the light was pointing straight to the ground, so I was only seeing on light on the road. Never noticed it with Halogen bulbs in.

So in fact it was due to improper aiming and a broken housing. I suspect there is no way to fix a broken housing as it is internal to the stock projector. Ive tried fixing a fog light broken housing before and just ended up tearing the fog light to pieces and breaking plastic. I am now looking at getting some Halo projectors and installed the HID's in them.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
vwwolfsburg said:
I just installed my McCulloch HID 5000 kit and took the car for a spin to see how they looked. I noticed only a slight difference in brightness over my Halogen silverstars. I did see white light but not to the the extent I was expecting. Is this due to using stock projectors? aiming of my lights, or just poor quality HID bulbs?.
Something is not right in your setup if you claim that your silverstar bulbs were close to your now HID setup. I've had silverstars and they were barely brighter that my stock bulbs. When I did my HID McCulloch 4700 kit it was litterally a night & day difference. Something is wrong with your beam pattern or something.
** edit ** I see you found the problem... never mind.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Aiming is the biggest thing here.

When I first installed my HID kit, I was a little upset at the output. It could of been due to the rain and the reflection on the windshield, but I decided to aim them up a little bit more. Even with my Halogens in I could tell they were aimed a little to down for my tastes.

After adjusting them up and closer together, the difference is unmistakable.

If you say they aren't bright enough or the output is bad...they need to be adjusted, there's no way a respected companies kit (McCulluch) has worse output than Halogens...hell, my no name 200 dollar kit is easily superior to my Philips Vision Plus bulbs I had in prior to these, they even make my high beams (h7 Philips VP) almost useless.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
vwwolfsburg said:
Well, I took the car back out for a late night spin around 11pm on some streets with poor or no lighting and noticed a big difference, the road was well lit by the HID's. I also noticed (due to better lighting) that my passenger side housing was broken, the light was pointing straight to the ground, so I was only seeing on light on the road. Never noticed it with Halogen bulbs in.

So in fact it was due to improper aiming and a broken housing. I suspect there is no way to fix a broken housing as it is internal to the stock projector. Ive tried fixing a fog light broken housing before and just ended up tearing the fog light to pieces and breaking plastic. I am now looking at getting some Halo projectors and installed the HID's in them.
You can certainly repair it. I assume that when you say broken housing you mean that the adjusters for aiming broke off. I was able to fix mine with epoxy after painstakingly removing the broken adjusters from the housing. Putting it back on took a miracle. but its doable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I should of explain what I meant by broken housing better. The metal part where the bulb fits into is loose. Once the bulb is in and clipped back on, I can wiggle the whole internal part of the lighting fixture inside the plastic casing. I had the same thing happen to a fog lamp, upon further inspection I discovered that some metal part holding the metal internals to the plastic casing had broken off, leaving only one side connected. This caused the bulb to flop around inside the casing and I could not aim it properly.

·
Registered
582 Posts
woww i saw this post and almost fell out of my seat!!! i just bought silverstars about 2 weeks ago for my b5.5......there was BARELY a difference between my stock bulbs, i did it for the HID look, but i installed REAL hids about a week ago.. WOOWOWOWOWO seriouslly really there is absoLUTELY no comparison .. night and day difference is a good way to explain it ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was gonna order hella projectors and install hid's as well until I seen the difference by getting the crystal clear head lights instead with 8000k hid kit. I will post pics when they come in.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Jeff_360 said:
that is your opinion:bowdown: I know the color and look that I'm going for:whistle:
I am not so concerned with your choice of "looks" as choice of purpose. Crystal clears, aka S-Kiotos, are non-projector headlamps. That is, they are not designed for HID applications. Instead they are made for halogen bulbs. The projector's purpose is to focus the emitted light of the gas which otherwise is very unruly, wild; the light shoots out in all directions.

Of course that is not my opinion but the truth.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts