Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are Sonar projector headlight that specifically has a sticker "NO HID".
Well screw what it says and immediate out came the H1 bulb and in comes a HID capsule 6000K.

the light is not white but a slight tint of blue which is acceptable i think.

these are much better than my stock headlights with HID in them.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Take a picture of the light pattern when you are 20 feet in front of a wall, that will help show the layout. Those are H1 HID conversion bulbs from the looks of it, do you know if a real HID (D2S or D2R) bulb would fit in the housing? I have read that H1's are not that far off of a true HID socket.

While using a projector not designed for an HID bulb is bad, it is not as bad as all the people running around with JDM headlights.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take a picture of the light pattern when you are 20 feet in front of a wall, that will help show the layout. Those are H1 HID conversion bulbs from the looks of it, do you know if a real HID (D2S or D2R) bulb would fit in the housing? I have read that H1's are not that far off of a true HID socket.

While using a projector not designed for an HID bulb is bad, it is not as bad as all the people running around with JDM headlights.
sure will try to get some pics up once install on the car.

yes those are H1 HID capsules.
the bulb bases of a H1 is totally different from a D2S or D2R. The H1 base is much smaller in diameter compared to the much bigger D2 series bulbs but if you got time and patience you can use a dremel and trim down the D2 series bulbs to fit.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These headlamps and HID capsules are for sale.

Never installed on car and hid capsule tested for like 5 minutes.

Anyone have a 99-2000 civic??

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this afternoon spent about less than 1 hour to remove the bumper skin off and both stock headlights so I can install these TYC babies.

Since I was doing this DIY outside on the driveway fingers were getting frozen a tad and didn't even bother making a harness to adapt the HID low capsule and the halogen HI bulb.

I just left the old Bi-Xenon ballast setup in there and wait till spring to redo it. So no high beams for me at the moment as if I really need them with the fogs on. LOL!!!!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i'm using prewired fused relay harnesses.
one for low hid beams and one for fog hid beams
no need to disable DRL after converting to dual beam headlights since the DRL uses highbeams with less output.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts