Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new here, i just put a deposit down tonight for a 99 passat gls 1.8t variant, its silver with black cloth, luxury pack and tip. the car just got brand new tires, breaks, intercooler, oil something and water pump. beautiful car, only one owner an older lady who has every record of oil changes, checkups, etc. its going in friday afternnoon to a vw dealership to have them run their used car check.

car has 78k, what should i be looking to replace soon, i figure timing belt?
anyone out there with some general stuff i should be replacing soon?

first mods planned are tint and some wet okole seat covers. i used to browse the forum a lot, but can someone refresh my memory as to which chips are available for the 99 1.8t ? mods a little down the line planned are eibach drop, some gunmetal 18's with polished lip, some beats from my buddy who has a hookup on audio and some performance stuff. probably chip and intake first, then intercooler pipe.

if anyone has any other good advice feel free to post it, or any other variant owners.

ill take pics on friday or saturday. i know its used, but its new to me and im stoked.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
APR and GIAC both make awesome chips for the 1.8 T. At almost 80k miles, I would start putting cash aside for a timing belt replacement, I believe it is supposed to be done at around 105k miles. Other than that, have fun, love your car, and welcome to Club :b5:

:drink: :)

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
They have replaced the water pump? Hell you would have thought they would do the timing belt and tensioner whilst they were in there.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
welcome to the club. i would ask that the timing belt be changed before you take delivery, so you don't go without your car. also check the tie rod ends and the control arms for wear. both are well known troubles.

if you want more responsive shifting, GAIC makes a tranny chip for your car in addition to the ECU chip that they offer.

also check that the recalls have been done, the one that i remember is the right rear wheel well liner. the dealer should replace it with one that's better lined against blowout ignition. phew..ok i'm done now. congrats on your purchase and welcome back to club :b5:

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
a good idea for DIY mods is the info forums. lots of people write up things they've done and a lot of them are inexpensive personalizations. depending on your wallet, keep an eye on classifieds and group buy. s_klass is hooking up a ton of people with neuspeed springs and koni or bilstien shocks. enjoy!! :beer:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
193? is that a fact?

rpaller said:
thanks, do you know if the tip tranny can handle 200hp?
Regular V6 is at 193 and supercharged V6's are up around 290 with TipTronic trannies. Shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
welcome to the club, enjoy posting here to get good info on whatever :thumbup:

·
Registered
442 Posts
So it's true - you CAN get a car driven by a little old lady in California! :D Sounds like a cherry.

Congrats :thumbup:

Variants Rule!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
PNWdriver
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing