Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
The trunk on my 2008 Jetta pops open randomly, out of warranty. Any ideas on quick fixes? Saw a thread to take the whole latch assembly apart and clean out the heavy lube on the geared pieces, sound like the best bet?

·
Registered
539 Posts
The trunk on my 2008 Jetta pops open randomly, out of warranty. Any ideas on quick fixes? Saw a thread to take the whole latch assembly apart and clean out the heavy lube on the geared pieces, sound like the best bet?
Actually my buddy had this same problem but with a MkIV Jetta. His was caused by a muffler bearing that went bad. The bad bearing allowed extra movement that made the muffler slam into the underbody, which in turn sent vibrations to pop open the trunk. He replaced his worn one with this: Muffler Bearing - $33.95 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I already had the muffler bearings replaced at the dealer. Got that done under the b-2-b warranty. Great service. While he was with another customer, I even got two mini powder sugar donuts the service advisor had at his work station and a swig out of his Starbucks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I already had the muffler bearings replaced at the dealer. Got that done under the b-2-b warranty. Great service. While he was with another customer, I even got two mini powder sugar donuts the service advisor had at his work station and a swig out of his Starbucks.
Wait....so you had that replaced under warrantee and it STILL is popping open? :crazy: are you sure it was done by a mechanic who knew what it was? Some people don't beleive that part actually exist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts