Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2004 VW Passat V6
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we recently got a hand me down car for my daughters first car. It is a 2004 VW Passat V6 auto with only 94000 miles on it. Mechanically it works pretty well with only one code (paint on roof needs work). Anyway, for free, not bad. Hoping to learn a bit from you all as this is our first vw 馃槑

Registered
2001 1.8T Sedan Manual Transmission
So we recently got a hand me down car for my daughters first car. It is a 2004 VW Passat V6 auto with only 94000 miles on it. Mechanically it works pretty well with only one code (paint on roof needs work). Anyway, for free, not bad. Hoping to learn a bit from you all as this is our first vw 馃槑
View attachment 103754 View attachment 103755
welcome

Moderator/Administrator
Welcome! Judging from the mirrors, you have an 04.5 model. They moved the fender repeaters to the mirrors halfway through the 2004 build cycle. Mine's an early 04.

Reactions: Skier74

Registered
View attachment 103754 View attachment 103755
Welcome to the Passat family. You are in the right spot for any support Maintenace or just a cool pic of what you have been doing with the car. Folks in this forum are extremely supportive of you are a DIY鈥檙. What code you have that would need to be addressed?

Registered
2004 VW Passat V6
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the Passat family. You are in the right spot for any support Maintenace or just a cool pic of what you have been doing with the car. Folks in this forum are extremely supportive of you are a DIY鈥檙. What code you have that would need to be addressed?
Thanks!!
Im getting a P0492 (i was getting P0491 as well but when i cleared the codes, only the P0492 came back). From what I've gathered, this is a common issue. I started with replacing the gas cap (figured id start with the least expensive possibility). Next i plan on taking a look at the hoses for any leaks and pull it into the garage to see if i can hear the pump on cold start ( i really don't recall hearing it but then again, i wasnt listening for it at the time). If it don't hear it, ill check the fuse and relay. Those are the steps i was thinking of doing but I'm open to suggestions if i missed anything or if i should try something else first 馃槑.

Registered
Thanks!!
Im getting a P0492 (i was getting P0491 as well but when i cleared the codes, only the P0492 came back). From what I've gathered, this is a common issue. I started with replacing the gas cap (figured id start with the least expensive possibility). Next i plan on taking a look at the hoses for any leaks and pull it into the garage to see if i can hear the pump on cold start ( i really don't recall hearing it but then again, i wasnt listening for it at the time). If it don't hear it, ill check the fuse and relay. Those are the steps i was thinking of doing but I'm open to suggestions if i missed anything or if i should try something else first 馃槑.
PO491 and 492 secondary air issue codes. It does not take much like a small air leak from a rotted tube to make this dreaded code show up. Next after a quick fuse check would be the air pump itself within this forum a good group of folks will chime in from moderate to extensive backgrounds so we have you covered. Hang in there as you have a good car. I have an 03鈥 and an 07鈥 and seem to chase something every other month 馃槀

Registered
2004 VW Passat V6
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PO491 and 492 secondary air issue codes. It does not take much like a small air leak from a rotted tube to make this dreaded code show up. Next after a quick fuse check would be the air pump itself within this forum a good group of folks will chime in from moderate to extensive backgrounds so we have you covered. Hang in there as you have a good car. I have an 03鈥 and an 07鈥 and seem to chase something every other month 馃槀
Lol, awesome! Thanks for the info 馃憤

Moderator/Administrator
Start a new thread in the correct forum for passat related issues. This is not the thread or forum to do so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.