Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I don't know if some of you remember me or not, I use to have the handle TDIguy84 and was interested in Jetta's Passat's at the time and finding a good one. Unfortunately I got a B5 A4, and have not looked back since...well alrite alrite just a few times. =) Newayz I didn't come here to start a war or anything, but I wanted your guys opinions and help. ...so here's the question:

I know that both the Passat and our A4's are built on the same B5 chasis, and underneatch they're practically the same car.....along with the same AWD system even thoguh VW called there's 4-motion instead of Quattro like Audi. But my question is, my friend is looking for a car and I suggested an A4, but I think he has his eye on a Passat. So I'm just curious which would you choose? I know that it may be a little biased, but I thought I would still get opinions. Any reasons that stand out, that you would choose Passat over A4 or vice versa? Both have AWD, I believe you can now get 5-speed with 1.8T and 4-motion on a Passat, where before you could only get tiptronic before 2002 I believe. Same body chasis, the only thing besides Audi/VW Style differences that really stand out to me is that the Passat looks alot bigger when next to my A4. Passat, even though it's same chasis as A4, looks to be more along the lines of an A6 family type sedan. While the A4's are more like the small more small 4 door sedan's, I dunno maybe it's just me, but please if you have any comments, opinions, etc, please post! Thanks =)

--Asif

·
Registered
134 Posts
B5 or B5.5 Passat over B5 A4. (bigger, prettier)
New body A4 over Passat.(even bigger, even prettier)
Next body Passat over new body A4 ?? (I think they boned it up, so.... A4)

1.8T with 4 motion (or quattro) + Tiptronic= Sloth.

Now it would also have to be a Variant (wagon)

·
Registered
583 Posts
The only good reason to get the B5 A4 over the B5 Passat is Audi Dealers typically treat people much better than VW dealers. Audi dealers give often give loaner cars for service (oil changes<GASP!>) and don't treat the customer as if he is a mullet sporting Camaro driver.

Otherwise they are very similar cars with B5 passat sporting quite a bit more interior space and a better coefficient of drag.

·
Registered
69 Posts
when i get my oil change at my vw dealer, if theres a long wait they give me a ride to a burger place etc or like give me a loaner if i need to go to work and come back, what junky dealer u going to? =] mine is desert audi/vw of las vegas.. oh wait its audi and vw k well dam, k maybe audi dealers areeee nicer =]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Go Audi. WAY better design and dealer service.

But if you just want slightly bigger and to spend less, go Passat.

I wish I had an S4 Avant.... :eek:

d

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Now if we are talking about the new audi body style....compared to a passat, I would go with a passat because the new audi's are underpowered for the weight that they have.

If we are strictly talking B5 chassis - go with the Audi, their warranty is longer and the service seems to be friendlier (as stated above).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responsse. Wow I am fairly surpirsed, alot of you are saying Audi. Yes I am comparing B5 (97-01) Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with current Passat. Not the bigger bloaty "B6" Audi A4, I feel that the 1.8T is a little bit underpowered for the newer B6 A4, so this comparison is strictly between B5 A4 vs B5.5 Passat. But I must say I thought alot more would be for the Passat than the A4. Anything else besides delears that you would choose one over the other? Thanks guys!

--Asif

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
well, i have a B5 Passat (99), and my wife has a B5 A4 (00), so i can list some comparisons off the top of my head:

Passat pros:
bigger, more spacious
less $$ (big pro!)

Audi pros:
nicer interior (excellent 3-spoke sport steering wheel)
better stock suspension (with sport package anyway)
better warranty
better service at dealers (though more expensive)

Passat cons:
lower quality build (at least my '99)
crappy warranty (again, at least my '99-- 2yr, 24K)
crappy dealer service (generally- there are some good ones out there)

Audi cons:
automatic climate control fan has mind of its own! :mad:
puny back seat
harder to get audi dealers to bargain...... :roll:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
No big fammily and sporty type of guy than Audi, even with premium price
In other case Passat.
Passat is same platform but is bigger,i.e. heavier than Audi.So, if you wnat more sporty feelings than Audi.If you are after more comfort and "solid" look than Passat.
Basicly you answered on your Q.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I was deciding between the A4 3.0L, and the Passat GLX, and decided on the Passat because there was more space in the car, and it was significantly less money for mostly the same options (less HID and dual climate).

The Audi had a sharper look to it, and a much better MFD. But the interior wasn't lit in blue/red and the cupholder sucks :poke:

I don't have a single shot of the interior, but here are a few of my car (click for larger)

And, for those searching the subject, here is the B5 Audi interior:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts