Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got chipped (really 2 weeks ago, but the morning after chipped got rearended and got my car from the shop today).

When I accelerate the car, I feel some hesitation, the car loses some power and some "gentle" shaking. Let's say it occurs when I press the pedal hard. I don't know if this is what you call "surging".

Could it be the DV ? Spark plugs ? TB ? This just happened after chipped, I followed the instructions after putting the ECU back (3 min with ignition in ON, etc.)

I got in my hands a new TT DV and a N75J, but can't install them till the weekend.

I just want to be sure that it is a sympton of a leaking DV. I hope so.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, made a little sacrifice and went to visit a mechanic friend who worked at a VW dealer.

I told him to replace the DV. And the surprise was that he found oil in the DV, so he remove the complete hose in order to see where it was coming from.

It was from the turbo. He told me this is not the first time he sees that thing happening. He took a quick look and it is probably a kind of sealing ring.

I just get a turbo diagram from my Bentley manual. The oil is coming from 14 in the diagram. Any ideas if that's the problem ? Any experience like this ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to say that I'm losing boost since the ring is not holding in the turbo. At least that the first guessing.
Also if you put your finger in 14, you can feel like a little pin. The pin is not tight like it is supposed to be. You can shake it a little bit. That's why my mechanic said it is probably the kind of ring.
He told me he must dismount the turbo to get a good report.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And do you guys suffer some hesitation when accelerating ? Are you chipped ?
My mechanic told me that the leaking is not new.
He said he saw a leak like this once in a brand new car.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
saheed said:
I forgot to say that I'm losing boost since the ring is not holding in the turbo. At least that the first guessing.
Also if you put your finger in 14, you can feel like a little pin. The pin is not tight like it is supposed to be. You can shake it a little bit. That's why my mechanic said it is probably the kind of ring.
He told me he must dismount the turbo to get a good report.
That is your wastegate. If you can move the actuating arm, it has gone bad. Sounds like turbo replacement time, especially with the oil leakage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, after searching and reading through the forum, as Rusty said the best guess is that the wastegate went bad, ie, turbo replacement.
My friend is going to take the turbo to some people who works in turbos, and he said they can fix it. I'll give it a try first.

If not, then a new K03 is in my future. Don't want to spend too much on a K04.
So... I'm here, if anyone knows where to buy a new K03 cheap, please tell me.
Maybe is a better idea to get the new K03, and not trying to fix the old one.
My only concern is with the engine code, since it is AWT

·
Registered
352 Posts
i had the same problem (the oil in the directional valve) AND the hesitation when the you try to accelerate, i too believed it was the turbo till i hooked it up to the computer and it was saying i had a missfire. to make a long story short: i had to replace the spark plugs, and the "connectors" (the ones that act as the spark plug wires, they go from your ign. coil to the spark plug. about [email protected])after that it runs like a baby!! check engine light is off. i also changed the DV just in case. i was also suggested to change the PCV valves (instructions in the "i forgot " forum) i havent done this pcv valves yet, but i must say i havent had a ploblem hope this helps..........

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
i had the same problem (the oil in the directional valve) AND the hesitation when the you try to accelerate, i too believed it was the turbo till i hooked it up to the computer and it was saying i had a missfire. to make a long story short: i had to replace the spark plugs, and the "connectors" (the ones that act as the spark plug wires, they go from your ign. coil to the spark plug. about [email protected])after that it runs like a baby!! check engine light is off. i also changed the DV just in case. i was also suggested to change the PCV valves (instructions in the "i forgot " forum) i havent done this pcv valves yet, but i must say i havent had a ploblem hope this helps..........
better try that first saheed :poke:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for all the info. I've been trying to collect all the info before doing something stupid.
Just one more question.
When you took the sparks plugs, did you check them ? Yesterday we also took the spark plugs for inspection, and they didn't seem to be bad. I was thinking of replacing them, but since they weren't "burned" on the top or the ceramic cracked, I thought it was not neccesary. I'll try to go to the dealer and buy today a set of spark plugs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I changed the spark plugs and nothing changed.
Let's see what happens next week dismounting the turbo.
Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
First off, oil in DV not uncommon.Passats have a very wet pcv system ,oil will be found in intake , intercooler etc. Second, number 14 in your diagram is a vacuum canister that gets its signal from the n75 valve to open waste gate. There is no way oil could come out of it! Nor is it connected to the DV . How did your mechanic trace oil in the DV back to there?

3 is waste gate actuator or 14 in your diagram, no oil there

19 is Dv you will find oil in there and most of the components shown in this diagram. Doesn't mean you have a leaking turbo.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I tend to agree. I just recently changed my diverter valve to a 710N on my 2000, before I traded it in, just because I had it laying around. There was oil collected around the lower mounting hose of the boost recirculation system. The car ran fine though, with no drivability issues.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh guys, thanks for all the info and help.
Yesterday I replaced the sparks plug, and this morning heading to my work.... cylinder #1 went kaput...
Believe or not, it was the ignition coil the problem after all!!!
Now my boost, ponies and all the angels are riding with me in the car. TT DV and N75J are there.
Now I'm enjoying my Wett chip.
About the oil, yesterday I found in 18turbo.com that it is common.
THANK YOU !!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To make the story short... like a year ago I had one coilpack replaced, it was an H coil. Then later I replaced the three remaining coils with L version.
The H was the problem. Today I got a L version, and got my car back in action.

Alfredo, I don't understand when you say the connectors, since the coil has a connector on top but it is not replaceable (that's what I think), and the coil itself gets in touch with the spark plug, nothing in between, as you can see in the following image (type B)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.