Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help as Im trying to understand or rationalize why people buy or trade up to SUV’s. :crazy:

In anything auto someone is selling a Mercedes C class because “Now their baby is too big, so they have to get an SUV for her”. :nervous:
How big did this baby get that they need an SUV? And if it got that big, why is it still called a baby :???:

A few years ago my friend got married, she drove a Saab convertible. After the first child, she complained that the Saab was becoming a pain trying to get the infant in and out of the back seat. So she asked for advise. I recommended a Subaru forester. She was very happy…

A year or so into the Subaru, she gave birth to their second child. Now she had a 2 month old and a 18 month old. She began to complain that the Subaru is too small for the kids and their stuff. She needed an SUV. This I couldn’t figure out. So she and her husband went out and bought a 5.9 litre Cherokee. :suspicio:

She calls me one day to ask if there is something that can be done to lower the Jeep because she’s constantly hurting her back getting the kids in and out of it :roll: . Funny this didn’t happen with the subie… She also asked if I could look at the engine because it “burns too much gas” I simply replied… “wasn’t it you that wanted an SUV”! :p

My sister and her husband had two cars, a Jetta and the Legacy. They decided to get a dog. A couple of years later this “puppy” grew. It was no monster but it was average size. It looked comfortable and content riding in the back seat of either car. Never once did it pose a problem. At least that’s the way I saw it… Till one day my brother-in-law calls me and says… come up here my wife wants an SUV… What for :nervous: … she says…” we have a dog now and the car isn’t big enough” :crazy: :weirdo:

A friend at work asked my recommendation on a good AWD sedan for his wife and their newborn. So I recommended a 4motion Passat or a subie. So he went out and bought an x-type :puke: . I cringed when he told me, but wished him luck anyway. A few weeks ago we got together for lunch. He says… “You were right that Jag was junk and a bit too small inside… besides my wife is pregnant with our second child. So I traded in the Jag for a Nissan Armada. Its got the biggest engine… did you know that” Once again, I cringed and wished him luck…

So I ask you this… is there a chemical brain reaction to go out and get an SUV once an infant or two or a pet come along :crazy:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I think ppl are usually just trying to rationalize their way to get the SUV they wanted in the first place.

I also get the impression there something about American buying public in general always wanting the most space they can get. Ppl always wanting bigger houses, back yard, etc. You even hear ppl (even on Clubb5) always complaining that other cars (esp the Japanese), not having enough head room, leg room, cargo etc. I think there's a lot of claustrophobic car buyers out there.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I dunno, but can you please call my wife and tell her that a variant is quite enough room for a dog and a -2 year old? (Yep, -2.) :roll:

·
0 Posts

I dont think it really matters, people want suv's because they are big and luxurious and they project the aura of saftey. So if your sitting in a car and you look up and see the armada, its like wow that thing is huge must be exspensive must be safe! that the perception.

I drove the eddie bauer expedition down to virginia so plush and comfortable that it lulled me into a dream :sleep: , but all i can say is nothing kicks your ass into reality like a $60 fillup :shock:

I guess if you cant admit you just want a big ass truck the only way to justify it is to claim to need extra capacity!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Our Variant is perfect for us, our two young children and our stuff. We went upstate to visit friends over the holiday weekend with ski gear, clothes, beer, food, etc. Everyone had enough space.
I think people buying SUVs has something to do with "keeping up with the Joneses"

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
I have no idea, Elias. Most of my friends have had the same thing. I don't understand any of it.

We did one kid just fine in a 5dr GolfIII and an Integra coupe. I traded the Integra for the Passat wagon because I needed 4 doors and a hatch and wanted a stick shift. Ok, I admit it, I wanted a STATION WAGON. I was pretty fat when I was pregnant and getting in and out of the Integra (2nd gen) was a bit of a chore. Actually, it was pretty funny to watch. I kind of rolled out of it and popped up.

I was actually compaining about the Passat because I thought it rode too high. After discovering the barber handle and lowering it a bit, it is better, but still not ideal.

Ironicly, the Passat wagon has more usable cargo space than most SUVs. If people really wanted more cargo capacity, they would get a Grand Caravan. Those things hold a raft of stuff even with all the seats in. They are ridiculous.

Stupid SUV buyers.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as my friend with the Saab goes…

She’s probably still driving the Cherokee if not anything bigger. The oldest must be at least 5 now. :roll:

As far as my sister and her husband, Im proud to say they have been saved. They relocated to Greece a couple of years ago. My sister drives a 1.8t Passat :bow: and my brother in-law a W12 Phaeton :bow: . As far as the dog, goes, he couldn’t give a $hit for an SUV. Id probably bet he would complain if you put him in any SUV after spending time in the back seat of the Phaeton. Now I know why I always called that dog a bastard! :mad:

I forgot to mention that I met my colleagues wife… she can’t be any taller than 5.0… I wish her luck getting into and out of that thing… especially when she’s pregnant. :(

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sister and her SUV and her 4 kids fit just fine. Also haul many large trailers. Brother-in-Law has a large Dodge extended cad dullie truck with a Cummins Turbo diesel 465K for his buisness. Brother is a contractor with a large truck and Suburban. I would say they need an SUV. I have three kids, and would love... a Variant. I do beleave some ppl need an SUV if I need one I'll barrow my brothers.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
I know what you mean Elias.....

My father pointed something great to me one day....

He was thinking about getting a Jetta and I told him that its tight and that with car seats in the back he will have to sit up all the way....this and that....

He said "WTF are you telling me, we went for 15 years driving a Fiat 125 and you gonna tell me we need more space"

That really made me reliaze how spoiled this country gets you..... :cry:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
LOL! We've seen this exact trend. Couple has a single child - next time you see them their driving a Suburban. It's like some kind of rite of passage. I think it's one part keeping-up-with-the-Joneses and one part they're-big-so-they're-safe, with a dash of hey-look-at-me-I'm-macho. Never mind that it's mostly women driving them. It used to be the same thing with mini-vans.

Of course, parenthood is exactly the rationale I used to buy our wagon. The funny thing is, the yard stick I used to measure the cargo area was our baby's folded-up stroller (if it would fit fore-to-aft while lying on it's side - you were in the running). There were some SUV's that couldn't do that.

I love to pull in to the gas pumps after an SUV has filled up. Nothing brightens my day like seeing someone drop $50 or more bux into their gas tank, while I'm filling up from near empty for less than half that. :)

Right after 9/11, I had to get to Chicago for business. I wanted to rent a Subie Outback (just for comparison - I knew I'd be buying soon), but the car rentals were all screwed up and I ended up with a Ford Explorer. 18 miles to the gallon, there and back again. Not to mention the fun I had in a thunderstorm with the cross winds blowing that thing back and forth across the lane. I know in my variant I'd have gotten just a bit less than double the mileage with a lot less stress and definitely a lot more style, if I had our variant then.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
yesterday A co worker and I went and checked out this guys Murano int eh parking lot, then went over to his outback. I swear, most wagons have more cargo sapce than SUVs, throw in AWD and I cannot even fathom why SUVs are so popular.

My roommates GF had a Hondah, got plowed into by some dumbass 15 year old learners permit because he and his dad were looking at an accident ont he other side of the road. They were in a Ford F150. So she went out and bought one of the last pre-redesign 4-Runners. Her rationale was that the bigger vehicle means more safety.

So there will always be the tradeoffs. My sister did they same thing, she had a Volvo wagon and my Bro in law got a Yukon. They realized that was stupid. She then got a Volvo XC and now has the XC90 which is touted as an SUV, but looks like a big wagon to me. They are having a thrid kid and needed that extra row of seats (3 kids now). They are ditching the Yulon this summer in favor of a BMW sedan. maybe it was all my griping, maybe it was the excessive fuel costs, maybe it was praticality, no matter what, they are heading the right direction.

Now I seem a bit hipocritical, but remember, my Scout is a UV, not a SUV. it also creates more pollutants than about 4 new SUVS combined and it can drive through a brick wall without taking damage. Do i drive it that way...no, do people drive their SUVS that way...yes.

We had a "suprise" snow storm a few weeks back, I was passed ont eh highway by two trucks doing the spee dlimit (or so) at about 65MPH, I was doing about 40. Then I noticed traffic stopped, crapt up and we cound we were backed up because these assheads spun out and bounced all over the place like a pinball. They were fine thanks to their american steele, but the rest of us were backed up for an additonal 20 minutes thanks to their no fear ways.

Remebe, 4wd gets you unstuck, it doesn;t make you stick. There whould be private driver examinatons before someone can take ont eh responsibility of owning an SUV. Clearly height is an issue, you wouldn't belive how many parking lot inceidents there are in the metro area because the 5' women driving the 8 ft tall Suburban can't see anything. Or the cowboys flying down the snow and ice covered roads and ridiculous speeds.

Dammit, now I'm all worked up, I need more Girl Scout cookies.

·
Registered
893 Posts
random thoughts...

I'm a big believer in the "let people buy what they want" theory. That said, there are some legitimate problems with small cars and kids, ... and dogs... and more kids...

Our P5 is great with the 1 kid, but with all his stuff and the dog in the back, it certainly is very full. we added a roof box for precicesly that reason. Problem with that car is is is so low. His car seat is on 1 side now since getting him into it in the middle was absolute torture on the back. Do this, bend 90 degrees at the waist and stretch your arms out with 30 pounds of weight in your hands. :D

The biggest reason I sold my first-gen 4runner was that it was a 2-door. 2-doors plus kids in car seats are hell... period.

Getting him in and out of the Rangie is the easiest of all. The back seat is at close to chest level so it's all smooth with no wierd bending and stretching even with his seat in the middle.

Ultimately people will try and rationalize anything they want, and that's their right. No different then rationalizing Turbo upgrades and other car mods, really. I do hate it when SUV owners grip about gas milage though.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I don't think you could really rationalize the need for a larger car the way you could for most peformance upgrades. I mean it's easy to say 'it's for the kids and the dog' or something else really lame when you want to get an SUV, but for the turbokit, you can't blame it on other ppl. :)

But hey, there are some perfomance upgrades such as sticker tires, brakes, etc that do infact make your car safer, so sometimes I guess it can be a win-win situation for those of us who mess around with our cars.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My wife and I each have VWs. My Passat and her Beetle. I hear all of the time from people that say they are "too cramped" in a car and need to get a SUV. Let me tell you about cramped.

I am 6'9".

I fit just fine in my Passat, and I fit just fine in my wife's Beetle. We have two dogs. They fit just fine in the rear seat of both. From a driver/passenger standpoint, I fit 10 times better in our VWs than I do in any SUV, with the exception of a couple of the larger SUVs. I DON'T EVEN FIT COMFORTABLY INTO A HUMMER!!! When we have children, we will probably get something a little larger. If I have my way, it would be an S6 Avant, but I could also "settle" for an Audi All-Road 2.7T. My wife, she would like a Touareg. Why does she like the Touareg, you may ask. "It's just like a big Passat wagon." I would probably agree, with the exception of the gas mileage. (Of note, I do fit into all of the aforementioned vehicles quite well.)

That's all I have to say about that.

PS- Does anybody feel sorry for me because I am 6'9"? You should. I won't ever own a Honda, or a Toyota, or a Hyundai, or a Nissan. Bummer. On the flip side, I won't ever drive what most of the public calls a sports car, either. Therefore, I will have to stick with the M-tuned BMWs, S-tuned Audis, AMG Mercedes. Again, bummer.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I think it's easy to get used to the greater visability that the SUV offers. it's the only "real" advantage that I can find. Thats the reason my wife insists on keeping our LandBruiser

I had another LandCruiser owner tell me that he bought his for safety, i may have been rude with naming all the reasons I thought he was wrong about that. but come on, no ABS, no airbags, lots of weight, high COG vs good visability. :weirdo: :crazy:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
atomicalex said:
If people really wanted more cargo capacity, they would get a Grand Caravan. Those things hold a raft of stuff even with all the seats in. They are ridiculous.

Stupid SUV buyers.
Agree, about the only place the big SUV's excel, is in the towing department.

otherwise look at a 04' Toyota Sienna, comapred to a 04' Expedition, and a 04' Suburban.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?&c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t97089&v=t97680&v=t97732

The Though the Toyota has the smallest engine, only 3.3L and 230hp. Even compared to the optional bigger engines that come on both trucks, the Sienna, easily has a better power to weight ratio then either one.

Not to mention better gas mileage, more passenger room (look at front and rear, head, leg, and hip room )

difference in cargo room, is: The Sienna has 43.6 ft^3, the Expedition only has 20.6 ft^3, and the mamoth suburban? Has a wopping 45.7 ft^3

I tell you it was sure worth the 14/18 mileage, and $15,590 price premium, over the Sienna, not to mention less overall passenger space to get thos 2 extra ft^3

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

-Nick

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
We've got a 01 Pathfinder and it we aren't stupid enough to complain about gas mileage, or any of that other crap. We wanted it cuz our 2 parents + 2 high schoolers family needed a big car, since my sister plays a buncha sports and is routinely hauling stuff to/from softball games and volleyball games, and we're planning on using it for hauling all me/my sister's crap to college. As soon as we're gone and the lease is up it's gonna be one of these:

Parents haven't considered the G35 though....I was tellin my dad about it's 300HP (I think) and AWD, and he's like "Wasn't the G20 the cheap one? This is probably their entry level car...." If it is entry level, it's still a hell of a car. Too bad he's been out of the sports-car loop ever since he got rid of the Maserati Biturbo :sad:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts